Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Scouts go marching one by one...

I now have 8 Scouts in my Wolf Den. 8 eight year old boys in my little house once a week for an hour. Often it's chaos, but it's also fun. Last week was our first week back after having a three week hiatus. As such, I decided to make a special treat for the boys' first week back. I made cupcake pops (like I did for Clara's birthday) but this time, they were little Scouts. I had so many of the balls leftover from Clara's birthday that I had frozen. I used those and it went much smoother and quicker than before. If you recall, I said it wasn't worth the effort. However, using the balls in a frozen state and already rolled, it was a cinch. It seriously took no more than ten minutes to dip them, add the "hats" and pain their faces. So I rescind my original statement. They are worth the effort (especially when the boys thought they were so cool). However, I will freeze the cupcake balls prior to dipping them instead of just refrigerating them. You can get really fancy with how you decorate them, but since I've been on a grocery store strike for over a month now, I wanted to use things I had at home. The eyes are simply melted milk chocolate that I dabbed on with a toothpick and the mouths were made with red candy melts (the things you melt to dip the balls in), applied the same way.Also, for those that had inquired, no way did I come up with this idea on my own. It is from Bakerella's blog. She invented these little treats and has made some amazing cupcake pops (click the button in her left side bar that says 'Pop Central'). When she's not blogging about those, she blogs about her other baking experiences in a totally hilarious way. Read her blog, you won't be disappointed.

12 comments:

Beka said...

those little scout pops are so stinkin cute! you are so creative!

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! What a good idea to freeze them first. I think I am going to have to try these for sure.
p.s. no worries about being out of town for my shower.... just wanted you to know we would love to have you if you were here! :) Have fun!

The Blakes said...

I bought the stuff to make cake pops for valentines day. I'm glad you posted about them though, I wasn't sure I was up for the challenge but now I feel motivated to follow through!

Marie said...

Tyler loved them! Thanks for all you do.
I had wondered how you made them. They are too cute.

Julie said...

You're the greatest scout leader because I would have never made that much effort over eight year old boys. Way to go!

Camille said...

Those are precious! I've been wanting to try Bakerella's pops ever since I first saw them on Tastespotting, but haven't yet. They look great!

Cook Zoo said...

You are too cool. I sure hope you're still in there when Ben comes in. 8 boys. Wow.

Rachel+Co said...

Anna, you are way nicer than I am. I would have never done that for my scouts. I mostly spent my time as a scout leader saying, "drop down and give me 20, then take a few laps!"

Deb said...

Wow look at you! Those turned out awesome. I agree with everyone else, you are a way cool scout leader.

I'll have to give those a try one day.

DeWitts said...

those look so cute! i love bakerella's blog! i bet your boys love you.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Those are so cute. I bet the scouts loved them!

Ashley Harris said...

I'm so impressed! They're so cute! And how in the world can you go a whole month without going to the grocery store? I'm impressed!