liquid (I use vanilla soy milk, rice milk, water or {rarely} pineapple juice)
spinach (about 2 GIANT hand fulls)
fruit
I blend the spinach into the liquid for a few minutes. Then I add my fruit and blend until smooth. Sometimes the fruit is frozen, sometimes it's not. If I use the soy milk, sometimes all I add is a banana and it's awesome. Sometimes I add an avocado or coconut milk for extra creamy and fattening smoothies. (We like fat around here.) I have learned because bananas are such a strong, sweet flavor, they mask any and all hint of spinach. (Which makes it more likely that the husband will enjoy it, the kids don't mind the spinach.) I also think bananas taste better if they have been frozen. That could be my imagination, but it could also be that they are riper than the green ones I usually have available to eat. Sometimes I'll do strawberries and bananas, sometimes peaches, sometimes just berries, sometimes tropical fruit, etc. Also, I really only buy my spinach at Costco. It's organic and a giant tub is the same price as a little bag from the grocery store. However, I rarely am able to use the entire tub before it goes bad, so I take the remaining spinach, shove it into a ziploc and freeze it. It tastes just the same in a smoothie. You can't really go wrong. Okay, yes you can, but if you use common sense, it makes going wrong slightly more difficult.
In other food news, I have been doing really, really great at making and sticking to my dinner plans. For two weeks, I've stuck to my plan. Prior to that, I'd been averaging probably one real meal a week for a month (oh, December). I think the trick for me is to have good items on the menu so I have more of a desire to make them. The other night I made pizza and it was SO good. I did a few BBQ chicken (bbq sauce, mozzarella, chicken and red onion) and a few mushroom (homemade red sauce {canned tomatoes, spinach & spices}, mozzarella and mushrooms). They were both delicious.
Last night I made the roasted root vegetable salad that I love. The turnips were from our garden (see the fresh dirt on their roots?) so that was fun.
Jason and I didn't think it was the best batch of it that I've made, but Hazel couldn't eat it fast enough. She also took the time to pick every single grain of rice off her plate. Beets, carrots, parsnips, turnips and wild rice, she loved every single bite. A few stow away grains of rice fell off her as I set her into the tub. You better believe she snatched that rice right out of the water the second she noticed it and gobbled it up.

8 comments:
Thanks for sharing your green smoothie combos. Haven't you made them for quite sometime? I remember you telling me you buy the vanilla soy milk in bulk at Costco for your smoothies?
Can I come to your house and eat your homemade pizza? Sounds and looks delicious! I don't know how you do it?! So much energy to grow your own food and then cook it all into a healthy satisfying meal. You are definitely (and always have been) the healthiest eater I know! It's always been your lifestyle. You're awesome.
We love green smoothies around here, although I've never made it with other greens than spinach and with fruit juice. I love making smoothies and making my kids drink them in the morning. Not everyday, but I think its genius!
I am not a smoothie drinker... regardless the ingredients, but I wonder if my kids would like them... hmm...
You pizza's look good! homemade are the best! I love grilling my pizzas, yum!
I have never really had a desire to drink a green smoothie until now. I guess I gotta try it one of these days :)
You are seriously awesome! I love how your kids LOVE all this fresh food.
Seriously, Clara was munching on lettuce straight from the garden when we were there. awesome!!!
Hazel is so funny! This post sounds yummy! I am going to make the spinach smoothies for sure. In fact I have a bunch of spinach in my fridge ready to be made up.Thanks for sharing and one day I hope to grow a cool garden like you! :)
Thanks for this! You better believe my next Costco run will include ingredients to make green smoothies! The pizzas look great too. Using food from your own garden is so rewarding!
I have interesting family dynamics too on a smaller scale. I'm the oldest so I dont have older nieces or nephews but there is 17 years between me and my youngest brother and he's only 3 years older than my twins! My kids will be able to babysit their cousins someday. ;)
i need to get back to drinking my green smoothies every day. yum! and that pizza looks good... pretty turnips!
Post a Comment