Friday, January 28, 2011

Observation: I'm Not Crazy

Children might not make us crazy, but perhaps it's that they make us think we're crazy. Certain days (yesterday), I feel like I can't get anything done (and get almost nothing done), I have no patience, my head is pounding, I feel like every second I am either holding the baby or listening to her scream and I feel totally crazy. Then other days (today), I can bake muffins for breakfast, bake bread, do a few loads of laundry and read books to Clara all before 11am (after sleeping until about 7:30am). Oh, plus, there is no headache, I have patience (why do I feel more patient when I don't need it??) and I don't feel crazed. Going from one extreme to the other over night makes me feel like I have a problem, some sort of chemical imbalance. I know it's normal (right?) but it still makes me feel like I have issues having such drastic mood swings over night. I told you it was a good thing today was a new day.

PS Not sure how so many parenthesis made their way into this short post.

6 comments:

Autumn said...

First of all, Congratulations!! I have been out of the blogging world for a while and am cathing up slowly with all the friends blogs. Your baby Hazel is so adorable! Labor has never scared me either...because I always have an epidural!...you crazy lady! I, on the other hand, AM a wimp and hate the anticipation of pain.

And also, yes, I totally agree that kids make you THINK you are crazy. Their little brains are so underrated!
Congrats again!!

Beka said...

its true anna:)!!! motherhood is seriously the hardest "emotional" job ever- but dont the greatest things require the MOST sacrifice? i've been thinking about that alot lately as i go crazy most days trying to be patient and nice and loving all day everyday(impossible!!) and trying to battle off that PMS monster- :) haha-now lets have a date night:)

I AM JOE PESCI said...

This is my mantra: do what you can, when you can.

There will be days that you get nothing done due to headaches, crying babies, whatever. But take advantage of the time that you are able to get things done. Do what you can, when you can!

This little sentence has helped me so much. Some days will be crap days. Others not so much so. And it's all okay! Having children, and especially a newborn is very very difficult. Holding a crying baby is getting something done. She feels loved.

Hang in there.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

If there is something wrong with you, then I'm in the same boat. I think it's normal, though. Some days I struggle for patience, and it i always those days when Lily seems to take pleasure in being difficult.

David and Jana said...

I still have days like that so different one after another, even getting semi-regular sleep. Hang in there!

Lindsay said...

You're still only just a few weeks out from just giving birth, so it's ok to feel the way you do. It'll get better soon.