I'm not sure about anyone else, but it seems my family often plays the "At my funeral..." game after funerals. We all share how long we expect our funerals to be, what music we want to be played, the kind of food we want at the luncheon and Jason normally mentions something about a cardboard box because caskets are a waste of money. We don't go so far as to act out our funerals as one's sister's father-in-law might. But we do discuss what we want when that inevitable day comes. Yesterday was no exception.
For the record...
My mom would like a 15 minute funeral. She says her life is so simple, there is no reason for it to be longer. She might be a simple person, but trust me, her life has been anything but simple. So Mom, it might have to be 20 minutes. She also wants "Consider the Lilies" to be sung. But that comes as no surprise to any of her children.
For me? I have always said I want "You Can Make A Pathway Bright" and "There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today" sung at my funeral and no tears. Today, I decided I want "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" to be sung, I want it to be 30 minutes and I want the luncheon to be really good food. Better yet, give everyone the day off and use some of the loads of money I'll leave behind to cater it. Oh, and instead of spending the money to print colored programs, please develop a poster sized picture of me to hang up. Just kidding (but only on the last one).
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You make me laugh. And I was reading a few posts down and I just want to say that it scares me how fast time goes. Seeing a picture of Clara with her cousins.....it seems like just yesterday I was at your baby shower and they were tiny babies. Sooooo weird! It's like I blinked and bam - they're grown up! I don't like it! I'm going to be blink again and I'm going to be a grandma or something and I'll be reading about how Clara is working through tax season. I'll be reading her blog about raising her kids and how they love hanging out with their grandma (A.k.a YOU). Hmmm.....sorry, my mind just ran away from me for a minute there.
Your mom reminds me of my mom (no surprise there). She wants simple and "Carry On" sung at her funeral. :)What I think it funny is that these women help out so many people and are so amazing. Their life may be simple to them, but they impact so many and mean so much to everyone that they are not simple at all. Does that make sense?
It is pretty funny - and a bit morbid - that you play the " funeral game " after attending a funeral. I am not sure I have ever considered what I wanted at mine. I guess the main thing is that I hope at least one person comes ! Maybe that one person could be you : )
Oh and I would totally have Olive Garden cater. Maybe more people would show up then !
I like "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". I might have to have that song at my funeral too. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa Mills. I understand what you mean about it being a joyous day for the person moving on, and a sad day for those who stay. I like the quote that you die to live. I'll have to write that one down.
I honestly have to say I have never once thought about what kind of funeral I want. I also was never one of those girls who dreamed about what their wedding would be like when they grew up. Is that weird?
for the record, i want "o my father" sung at my funeral.
and i think you already know this but clint has requested the phoenix suns theme song to be played while the family members are introduced/run down the aisle wearing jersey. with flashing lights.
please make sure they sing "called to serve" at my funeral, and have angela design the program, not the morturary. that is all.
Won't it be nice when we all know exactly how to run the funerals? I hope this post gets published in a family book, so there will be no surprises. I would put my preferences here, but I have actually never thought it out. What kind of morbid person would? jk
yeah right anna, you wouldn't let them use your money to cater the funeral. pot luck is the only way.
Post a Comment