Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cracker Crazy

I mentioned that I made homemade graham crackers with Kiri. This past week, Clara and I made homemade wheat thins and cheese crackers. I kind of lost it a few months ago and got really annoyed trying to find overpriced snacks that aren't filled with a hundred ingredients I can't pronounce. I snack a lot and that's usually when my healthy diet visits my unhealthily eating because let's face it, I don't always feel like munching fresh fruits or vegetables. I needed to find a healthy alternative that was budget friendly. Have you been grocery shopping lately? Yeah, that combination doesn't really exist, so I decided to make my own snacks. I stopped buying processed snacks for the most part and waited a few months to get the energy/courage to make my own. Here are my observations and conclusions:

Graham Crackers
Recipe
: Mesa Cannery
Difficulty: Not difficult. Hardest part was rolling them out, but it wasn't too bad
Taste: Taste was very good but I would recommend white wheat instead of red. It had a lot of sugar, so it tasted a lot like a cookie and it was soft.
Would I make them again? Yes, although next time I will roll them thinner and cook them longer to hopefully get a crunchier texture. I also might try to substitute some of the sugar

Wheat Thins
Recipe
: The yellow cannery cookbook
Difficulty: Simple, five ingredients and rolled out perfectly (maybe too perfect... they were a little too thin)
Taste: It was good, a little bland but very crunchy. I sprinkled salt and onion powder on top. The onion powder burned so next time I will add more salt and some seasoning to the dough instead of sprinkling on top. Also, I would make them thicker, they were really thin.
Would I make them again? Definitely.

Cheese Crackers
Recipe: From here
Difficulty: Easy to make if you have a food processor, not easy to roll out. In fact, after three failed attempts, I just rolled them directly in the pan, next time I'll use a very floured surface
Taste: Super good, but SUPER spicy. The recipe calls for 1 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp black pepper. That's a lotta spice. I used about 3/4 tsp of each and next time I'd use no more than 1/2 tsp of each.
Would I make them again? Yes, but I am going to experiment with the recipe until I find the blend I like. Like maybe a little more cheese and substitute some of the white flour with wheat.Wheat thins = pretty; cheese crackers = not pretty

So tell me, tell me, tell me, what snacks do you make from scratch?

11 comments:

Deb said...

You're awesome. I've always wanted to make those snacks from scratch so they would be a little healthier for my kids, but I never did. Now that I've seen you do it, I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration.

angela hardison said...

answer: none :(

maybe someday. for now i'll just eat yours!

David and Jana said...

I cut up apples and give my kids apples and string cheese. Sometimes yogurt and carrots. I haven't made any snacks from scratch that aren't sugary.

Amy said...

Your wheat thins look like they came out of a box! Great job.

I have a granola bar recipe that I like. I usually put chocolate and butterscotch chips in them, so they're not the healthiest, but you could put raisins in them instead, I suppose. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Cook Zoo said...

You know, I've thought about doing this for a long time, but what always stops me is the time. How long did it take to make each recipe and how much did they make? My fear is I'll put in two hours of work for something my boys will polish off in 15 minutes.

Kathryn said...

I've been wanting to give this a try lately. Maybe you are my push to finally start.

Some snacks that we are trying more often: frozen grapes, nuts (walnuts and almonds). I've also seen where you put a popsicle stick in the circular canned pineapple, freeze it, enjoy fun popsicle.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I've been wanting to make crackers from scratch too. wow... we are like kindred spirits... only you have acted on it, and not me.
But I will be trying it out soon.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Cool!

snacks I make: popcorn.

Rachel+Co said...

granola, baby!

DeWitts said...

Anna you are awesome.

i'm going to have to try the wheat thins and they look good in you pic.

its a sad thing. i don't make snacks.

poor coop dog doesnt get much snacking but a apple. i found that coop will eat his dinner better if he doesn't snack.

JLynn said...

I'm impressed. Ever since I joined the church, I've always wondered what people do with those HUGE silver canisters full of wheat..... besides putting them under all their beds in every room in their house... .haha... anyways, now I know what some people do with them. I've always told you this and I keep telling you this, because you keep getting better and better and perfect at being extremely resourceful. wow..... lately, cache's snacks consist of "mickey fruit snacks" (from costco), blackberries and raspberries, and Honey maid graham crackers and store bought granola bars.