Sunday, January 18, 2009

Woe Is Me

I've long thought there is a very delicate balance between reality and optimism. If you feel like your world is falling apart and someone asks how you're doing and you say good, are you lying, are you being optimistic or are you denying reality? To me, saying things are great when you feel like your world is falling apart is not being truthful. Which is why I answer the question "How's it going?" very honestly. But if I'm not careful (and I'm probably not), I sound like a complainer (especially lately). The truth is, things aren't great, and I'll tell you all about them, but I am happy. So I guess that's the point where reality and optimism meet. Reality is what we can't change, but optimism is the ability to be happy during reality, even when it's rotten. I will tell you about my reality, but know that I'm not complaining unless I'm not laughing at it. I talk about it so I can laugh about it. The only glitch in this system of mine is that when things get REALLY bad, I stop being so truthful when people ask how things are going. I give the standard answer because some things make me clam up (believe it or not, there is a way to get me to shut my mouth).
Here's to seeing the glass half-full (unless of course your at a tea party with Clara because she'll drink out of every cup... she needs no guests at her tea parties).

11 comments:

Ashley Harris said...

I think if more people were honest when asked how they were doing - the typical answer of "fine" would be far and few between. Life is hard and tricky, especially right now, and I love this post! I love that you're happy in spite of everything going on.

Cook Zoo said...

What a great way to define optimism within reality. You're always so insightful Anna.

I have trouble with the "how are you" questions, when they aren't questions but really just part of a courteous greeting: "Hi, how are you?" When everything's fine, it's easy to answer. But here's my trick when things are so NOT fine that I'd feel like a great big liar if I said they were. When someone says, "Hi, how are you?" I don't even answer, I just say "How are you?" No one's EVER noticed that I completely avoided the question, which tells me they weren't really asking to start with.

Not that I'm offended by people asking without really asking, because it's just such a part of our culture that I do it too. That's just how I get out of answering when I don't want to say fine but don't want to go into my woes either.

I hope "things" get better for you soon. Meanwhile, I applaude your optimism. You're awesome Anna.

angela hardison said...

I've always loved people that answer that question honestly. Clint's dad, for example, will tell you EXACTLY how is feeling if you ask.

And yeah, you pretty much amaze me with the optimism you have in the midst of your reality. But no worries, we've sent a whole bunch of prayers your way and sooner or later they've got to work, right?

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I disagree Donna, I have noticed when you've avoided the "How are you" question. I just think that maybe you don't want to talk about it and I'm not the kind to be pushy.

Ahhh, reality . . . I try to totally avoid it if possible - although lately, it's been glaring me in the face and it's hard to ignore. :(

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

I am not very good at that. I am always "Good". I can't imagine that people really want to hear my sob story. But, I do commend you for being honest. I need to take a lesson from you and my dad. Excuse the language but one of my favorite stories is when my husband of a few short month asked my dad how he was doing, and my dad said, " I am pissed off." I don't think Kenny has asked that question since.

Beka said...

you've been such a great example to me the past couple years of how to stay upbeat and positive, despite the crap that happens.

And i LOVE Clara's tea set--its so adorable!!

When can we take you guys out to dinner?? we owe you

Kami Milliron said...

I have to say I am okay right now when someone asks me. If I don't, then I will burst into tears. Someday when someone asks me, I will actually be able to say I REALLY am okay.

Camille said...

Well her dishes are sweet. No matter how bad life is, at least there are cute dishes.

Tiffany Haynes said...

It's funny cuz I've been battling that same thing. I always have a hard time knowing how much to share when someone asks "How I'm doing". So I usually just stick to the same old reply "Fine". Things are tough but I think that's the real test if you can be happy when things suck then your set for when things are great.

Cook Zoo said...

I thought I was being so sneaky! And now my secret's out too. ;)

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I'm one of the people that always says "great" or "fabulous" when someone asks me that question. Even when everything is going wrong. I figure that it isn't lying, so much as being optimistic.