Thursday, September 18, 2008

HUGE Impact

Dear Devil's Advocate,

You raise a valid concern wondering What is the impact of not protecting traditional marriage in our state? Just let two people who are in love get married. I see your point. I realize many people may not have the answer to this. As your friend, I will gladly provide you, free of charge, with several frightening impacts of not protecting traditional marriage in this state. Of course it will be lightly infiltrated with my opinion. Then it is important to help other people become educated so that they too will see the impact.

Before we begin, I would like to clarify one thing. I do not have a problem with gay people. I actually am fairly close to someone that is gay and he is a great person. I love and admire him for many reasons. In fact, he probably has a stronger testimony than many people we view as "good" people.

Now on to the impacts of not voting yes on prop 102 and, consequently, not protecting marriage in our state...

[-] Our religious freedom will be jeopardized. I found a very interesting presentation from a lawyer documenting such instances in CA. Read it here. Or search the guy's name and the title to find the actual powerpoint presentation. This is just the html version so it's a bit difficult to read.

[-] If we attempt to exercise our freedom of speech, we'll be accused of discrimination. Somehow, the discrimination is always one-sided. Read this interesting pamphlet.

[-] Adoption agencies will be forced to allow homosexual couples to adopt children. I could go on endlessly about the impact of this, but I'll stay focused on one topic for now.

[-] As Amy, Kathryn and I agreed: Marriage, between a man and a woman, is essential to creating and maintaining the stability in our communities that only a family unit can create and maintain. It is imperative that we not only teach this critical message to our children, but that they receive the same message at school and in other public areas of influence. Again, there is PLENTY of research to support this, but that will be for another day.

And speaking of children, who will be most impacted by the legalization of homosexual marriage...

[-] Your children (starting in Kindergarten) would be taught about transgenderism. (See here).

[-] Additionally, at school your children would learn about sodomy and lesbianism disguised as "diversity" in school. (See here). PS If you are easily offended, don't click on that link as the article may not be PG-13. I'm embarrassed reading it and I'd be horrified to know children were being exposed to that material.

[-] Story time at school could include books like this and you wouldn't even know about it. You can't complain because all they are doing is reading about something that is legal (same-sex marriage) in their state.

I think a big reason homosexuals want this is so that they can have the same benefits as a married couple (insurance, taxes, retirement, etc.). In that situation, we should write a law to allow this. But that is not the issue at hand and before that is done, we need to fight to protect marriage to protect our children, our communities and our country.

Yours Truly,
Anna

PS Do Devil's advocates believe in the Bible (which, by the way, clearly teaches us that homosexual marriage is a sin)? Because if not, how do they believe in the Devil? :)

PPS It's all your fault I have eaten non-stop for the last hour plus and gotten nothing done during Clara's nap.

PPPS You better come tonight. I'm in charge of refreshments. I thought about having frozen bananas, but I think I decided on something more traditional. :)

Other interesting reads:
An apology from Canada Canada legalized marriage. See what a group there has to say about it.
The LDS Church's view (I LOVE how this is worded. Even if you're not LDS, read it. It's short and you'll probably find it is a lot like how you feel). We all have temptations. Temptations aren't a sin. It's acting on the temptations that causes us to sin.
Words from Catholics (I don't know if this is an official Catholic Church website, but there views and opinions are very similar to LDS. They don't think it's okay, but they say "homosexuals deserve respect".)

13 comments:

Brenden+Nikki said...

Anna I am so proud of you. Last Sunday in YW I taught the lesson on Service in the Community and we talked a lot about the importance of letting your voice be heard in determining decisions within the community, state, and national levels. I am so impressed with how involved you are. I think this is so important because in that lesson we emphasized that one of the important reasons for being involved in the community is to ensure that the Kingdom of God is being built up on the earth. That can't happen if we just sit by and let wrong things like this control the direction our society is heading.

It makes me sick to think that my children may have to learn about stuff like that in school. It just shocks me how downhill everything has gotten since I've been in school, and that wasn't that long ago. It is a scary, scary thing to realize.

Thank you for taking a stand!! You are awesome!! And I know Heavenly Father is proud of you too because you are truly fighting on His side even if it might be a hard thing to do (like when you have to face rude, angry people on the phone who cuss at you and stuff). I hope we can all be brave like you!

JLynn said...

i applaud you, Anna, for always taking a stance and standing up for what is right for all. you always communicate your points so well or the points in general that need to be understood. i appreciate you writing these things on your blog for ALL to see. i hope you are blessed for your efforts in creating so much good as you help educate others on why marriage is so sacred and must be protected for the rearing of future families. continue to keep us updated.

Kathryn said...

Good job Anna. It's hard thinking about what our children might be taught as "right."
I liked the last part about how you said it is only a sin if you act on it. I HATE it when people call someone else gay just because they act a little different. Being gay is a major transgression. Someone is not gay unless they act on it.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Very good arguments Anna. I knew I could count on you. It was fun talking with you a little tonight, too.

The cookies were great!!

angela hardison said...

Well, you convinced me...

Also. People's responses to the phone calls (your previous post) = awesome and funny.

Jen & Blake said...

Thank you!! I am so happy to hear how much you are willing to do for all of us. I really enjoyed your post and wondered if you wouldn't mind me copying it? It is great information to share! I also got a great laugh out of the whole night and excuses from calling:) Too funny!
Loved Clara's licking technique!

Autumn said...

Yes, Anna, I do wish we lived closer so we could talk about different "political" issues.

It really comes down to people being worried about offending people who are choosing to be "gay".

In fact that is why alot of things get passed on ballots.

What we all need to realize and remember is what the people who founded this country, based everything on. God.

And I am not aware of any religion that has, or even claims to have, revelation from Him that says homosexuality is "OK".

You know I could go on and on about this particular subject, but you know to refer to my blog for my true opinion.

I will say "Thank You" for volunteering to make those phone calls. That could not have been that fun, but think of all the people that you came in contact with that hadn't been thinking about the proposition, and probably wouldn't even have thought about it until they read it on the ballot, and then in which case, they would be forced to make an instinctive decision which may not be the morally correct decision.
With your phone calls I am sure of it that it got some people talking and thinking about it (hopefully with their spouses,....because, yeah, seriously, who doesn't discuss this type of stuff with their spouses??), and hopefully will get them to do a little more research on the subject and just how much negative IMPACT it will have on anyone who believes in building a strong family.

Ok, done with this long post. :)

Kami Milliron said...

That is really awesome that you are volunteering your time. And those were some interesting conversations. How do I get one of those " Yes on Prop 102 " signs to stick in my yard ? My Mom, Sister and I all want one. So if you know where to find them, let me know.

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

Scary stuff. It does freak me out to think that my kids could be taught such things at school. I am thinking that home schooling sounds good. Okay, not really. Well..maybe.I loved reading about the phone calls you made. I was thinking about volunteering. (It's the thought that counts, right?)

I never thought anything in AJ would be better than something in Mesa but the Ranchers Market proved me wrong. It is still a little nasty but I don't feel like I have to shower when I get home.

Deb said...

What a awesome post! You are doing a great service to your community!

Your phone conversation post was hilarious too. I don't think I would have had the guts to do that.

Unknown said...

I got my "Publicity Pamphlet" today and saw your little statement in there... way to go!

Cook Zoo said...

If I play devil's advocate, will I get treats too? Because those cookies last night were AWESOME!!

Seriously though, this is a great post. Don't be surprised if I link back to you in my blog. :)

Cook Zoo said...

So I just got through going through all the information from the links, and oh my holy I'm completely disturbed. It's amazing how much ground anti-family forces have ALREADY gained. If this gets into my kids' schools, I will homeschool in a HEARTBEAT. But I think we all have an obligation to stand up, one way or another, and defend the family. After reading the powerpoint presentation by that lawyer, I'm convinced that the only permanent solution to this will be an amendment to the US Constitution. Afterall, California ALREADY passed a measure just like this a few years ago, and it has been completely IGNORED by many courts and government offices. Scary, scary, scary.