Last night I got to volunteer to call people asking if they support Prop 102. The ordeal is sponsored by YesForMarriage dot com. They are trying to get a sense of people's position so they know where and how to direct their marketing. If someone is opposed, they won't waste their money on them. If someone is undecided, they will spend more time and money helping educate them to encourage them to vote yes. Obviously, calling people from the voting records can be a bit intimidating. I know how annoyed I get when people call me. Luckily, I was with some good humored people and for the most part, people were polite. You could tell they were irritated, but they weren't rude. We had a short script that read something like this (I didn't bring a copy home with me... but after repeating it nearly 100 times, it's pretty close):
Hi, I'm Anna and I'm volunteering my time on the Yes For Marriage Campaign. Proposition 102 is simple and clear. It says only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid and recognized as a marriage in this state. Can we count on you to vote yes for marriage by voting yes on Prop 102?
Here were some of the best conversations:
Volunteer: Recited script
Old man: So this is saying marriage is for a man and a woman?
Volunteer: Yes
Old man: Isn't that what marriage is?
(These were the good calls...)
Anna: Hi, is so-and-so there?
Man: She's not here, can I take a message?
Anna: I was calling to let her know (gave him the general idea)
Man: Probably
Anna: Is that a yes?
Man: Is it saying a man can only marry a woman?
Anna: Yes
Man: Yeah, then she'd say yes
(This gave me little confidence that people understood what we were asking when they answered)
Anna: Recited script
Man: So this is saying only a man can marry a woman and only a woman can marry a man?
Anna: Yes (hopeful he was getting clarification for the right reason)
Man: I'm sorry, that's ridiculous.
Anna: Recited script
Woman: Even though I just got divorced, I will still vote yes
Anna: I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for your support.
Woman: It's okay, it worked out for the best.
(I really don't understand this. I'm very sorry to those that have to deal with divorce. And I'm very happy that this lady was able to see the importance of this amendment despite her situation. But just because a marriage fails doesn't make homosexual marriage okay. It's the Bible people. I don't understand how you can believe the Bible and believe that homosexual marriage is okay.)
Anna: Recited script
Man: You can count on me to do the right thing
Anna: So you'll vote yes?
Man: I'll do the right thing
(Smart alec)
Anna: Hi, Jeffrey?
Boy: Um, this isn't Jeffrey. And I don't know any Jeffreys.
Anna: Is it Jeff?
Boy: I know a Jeff, but this isn't his phone.
Anna: Oh, well can I tell you something?
Boy: Sure.
Anna: Recited script
Boy: I would totally vote yes, but I don't even think I'm old enough to vote.
Ha ha!!
Some of the most common rejections after the people heard us out: absolutely not!, that is ridiculous, I see things a little differently so no, I don't discuss my political views over the phone, don't call me any more, *cursing* if a gay person wants to get married, let him get married!, I've been divorced three times - if heterosexuals can't figure marriage out I think we should let the gays try it out and of course the unoriginal NO! (usually followed quickly by a click).
Some of the best excuses if the people asked for were suddenly unavailable when we told them who we were: she's eating dinner, she's cooking (I think this was a yes though), she's in bed (this was at like 6:30pm), he's deceased (I shouldn't make fun of this, but these people weren't convincing), she's 85 years old (and that is too old to have an opinion?), her mom just died on Monday, he just had surgery (this was actually a yes, but it was still funny), I'm not going to let other people make my decisions, I'm in Mexico I can't hear you and we don't accept calls after work.
It was also interesting to see what number people put down. We called the Verizon Wireless payment center, a ring shop, Pizza Hut's Headquarters (and by the way, I found the guy's name from the directory and left him a message), the retired guy that put his work phone number and other places of business.
I was surprised at how many people hadn't heard of it and didn't know how their spouse would vote on it. Who doesn't talk about this type of thing with their spouse?? It also surprised me how many old people were violently opposed to this. It would seem to me that they would be more supportive of traditional marriage. We did have a lot of people that said Yes! and absolutely, of course, I support it, we believe in that, etc. But it was a real eye opener to see how many people didn't feel that way. To know there are that many people in our state alone that do not understand the impact this would have on our society. This is why it is SO important that all of us do what we can to protect marriage.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Totally cool that you "got" to volunteer. :)
Can I play devil's advocate for a moment?
At the end of your post you said, "But it was a real eye opener to see how many people didn't feel that way. To know there are that many people in our state alone that do not understand the impact this would have on our society. This is why it is SO important that all of us do what we can to protect marriage."
I would venture to guess that A LOT of people DON'T understand the impact this would have on our society. Is this being explained? Do people know the impact this would have? What is the impact?
I think a lot of people think that there would be no impact - except for allowing two consenting adults to express their commitment to one another and to society. So, how does one respond? What is the impact?
::end playing devil's advocate::
Good for you for volunteering! Those are some crazy respones. That is hard to do the phone thing. I admit I have been rude to them (they call at the worst times)!
Anna, I was supposed to go last night! We would have been chumming it with weirdos on the phone. Bummer. You would have made it fun. My day fell apart. Now I wish I would have gone. But don't worry. . . I WILL!
It really is scary how many people don't get it, but I agree with Roccy. They're uninformed, and we have an obligation to spread the word.
Post a Comment