In the last six weeks or so, I've finished four books. That's a lot for me. Here's what I read and my humble opinion on each.
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale: Maybe I didn't have high expectations, but I adored this book, which in turn got me adoring Shannon Hale. This was a fantasy, but the reason it was so didn't overwhelm the entire story. I also enjoyed the unpredictability. And of course, the love story sealed the deal. It wasn't just a rosy fairytale though; there was some action and plenty of downs.
Enna Burning by Shannon Hale: I really enjoyed this one too. It is in The Goose Girl series, but it could stand alone as well. I think I liked The Goose Girl too much, so this one didn't compare, but it is still one I would like to buy. The fantasy parts were more prevalent in this book, but I was intrigued by it more than anything else. Plus, more love stories. I do have to say, parts were a little disturbing. I can't say much more without giving things away, just know that the title has literal meaning in the book.
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd: I enjoyed the humor of the main character, a young girl, throughout this book. It was a pretty good book and I think more than anything I liked having a glimpse into that time period (I think it was the 60's) in the South. I also happen to love analyzing child-parent relationships and the effects they have on children's decisions. This book had plenty of opportunities to do that. The suspense level was pretty steady, which was good for my blood pressure. (I get so worked up when books are suspenseful, and by suspenseful I mean ANYTHING that is remotely suspenseful).
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom: I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one. I don't like reading (or thinking) about death and I don't like reading (or thinking) about Heaven, because if you're in Heaven, you're dead. But I totally loved this book. It was a library copy and the whole time I was reading, I was wishing I had my own copy to mark up. I took notes instead. It's not every book that is entertaining and inspiring. It wasn't a book that created these lovable characters and then let them die. From page one, you knew what was going to happen. The book begins, "This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun. It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But endings are also beginnings." (From Albom's site).The format was very unique and it was a quick read. I loved the deep thoughts that were presented and it was an unusual perspective of Heaven. My book club buddies might hate me after I talk non-stop at our next meeting. :) Furthermore, I liked this author's style. I might just have to check out his other books.
I have come to the conclusion that I'm a total sucker for a good love story. If there's a good love story running through a book, I'm bound to enjoy. It allows me to think happy thoughts and be momentarily distracted from reality.
I can't wait to read my next Shannon Hale book. It's on my bookshelf waiting patiently. And I just went to her site to post a link here and now I love her even more. Her url is not "Shannon Hale" but "squeetos". Obviously that confirms her coolness. Now read her bios. She's completely hilarious.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I'm jealous! I haven't read a book in MONTHS. So, thanks for some recommendations!!
I just finished Princess Academy by Shannon Hale and really enjoyed it. I read it in two nights but I wanted to stay up late to keep reading (always a good sign). I can't wait to get going on Goose Girl. And I haven't even started "Five People You Meet In Heaven" but you've motivated me to get going on it. I love hearing book recommendations.
Holy cow where do you find the time to read? I must read really slow. I like to read books I just must not love them as much as you all do, because I definitely can't get through them that fast. (I probably love T.V a little more than books, but don't tell anyone that, it'll make me look bad)
I'm going to have to check Shannon Hale out. Thanks for the book recommendations!
Yeah, I'm definitely going to read more Shannon Hale. And I'm more excited about the book club book now. I haven't started it yet either - I decided to re-read These Is My Words first. LOVE that book!
Anna you should have been an English major too :) I love that you make notes on books that you read for pleasure. That is awesome!!
And yes, we should totally get together for Jason and Brenden's birthday!! That would be so fun! Then he maybe he'll stop thinking he's the only guy getting older in the world :)
Okay, that picture on my blog isn't MY grass. But you can go ahead and think that. . . I just got it off the internet. I'm a cheater. . .
I love Shannon Hale...one of my fav authors. I think my favorite one is Book of A Thousand Days. It has really good life messages in it! I read a lot of books while I was in the hospital. That is one thing I miss about my time there. (prolly the only thing I miss) I love a good book
I need to check out the Shannon Hale books. I looked and they don't have any book club kits for her yet, but maybe someday....
I may ask permission some time to copy part of your post about books over to the book club forum. I loved your comments and would like to get some discussions like that going online between book club members.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the Mitch Albom book. I've liked all of his that I've read, and they're all different. You should check out For One More Day. It's the only one I don't have yet, but I'm sure the library has got it.
I LOVED the Secret Lives of Bees, and can't wait to see the movie. It looks great. I also liked the Five People you Meet in Heaven. I'll have to check out Shannon Hale. I've never even heard of her, but I'm always prowling for new authors to love
Post a Comment