Tuesday, September 23, 2008

19 m 30 s

I just got off the phone with a man who loves our (Utah) home. He said they've been watching it for a while. I told him how much we're asking and he said he'd buy it if that's what their price range was. But it's not. He said they could afford it, but they don't want to "after what happened with their last house". Completely understandable. It's the same reason Jason and I are tempted to live in this house for the rest of our lives.

Then the very nice man proceeded to talk to me for another 18 minutes or so. We talked mostly about the kind people who are "short saleing" and foreclosing on their properties, making it seemingly impossible to sell ours. Too bad he did the same thing with his house. Which is why I found it ironic he said it was "sad" that a home as beautiful as ours had to be surrounded by so much of "that" (people practically giving their houses away).

He was saying how the only thing we did wrong with our house was the timing (which shouldn't have been an issue...). I told him we've learned some good things from this bad situation. He responded with "Education is expensive no matter where you get it." Now that, is profound. Because the things we've learned from this experience, can't be learned at any Ivy League school. And I'm pretty sure the price tag is comparable to 5 or 6 years of tuition.

So now I wonder... is it worth it to people to buy a more beautiful home and pay more? Because he seemed like if he'd be happy to pay for it because him and his wife loved it so much, even it was more than other ones. There is a short sale down the street and it's not as nice or beautiful of a home (I'm not the only one that thinks this...) but it's lots cheaper. I also think people are holding out and waiting, thinking if they wait long enough, the house they like will eventually be as cheap. Sorry friends, it's not happening any time soon on our house. And I wonder why that man was so friendly and talkative. Maybe just to help me keep a positive attitude about our beautiful slice of Utah real estate.

4 comments:

angela hardison said...

So what you're saying is... my prayers didn't work, AGAIN. Yet.

Looks like I'm learning a little bit from your situation too. Anna, aren't you glad that you've been able to sacrifice on my behalf?

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I wish I had the money to take that house off your hands. I truly do.

Julie said...

I feel like Roccy. . . I wish I could afford to buy my own summer home in Utah, up close by my family. Believe me, if I could I would buy yours. Are you feeling any better?

Cook Zoo said...

Good for you for sticking to a reasonable price. I hope it sells soon.