Wednesday, February 27, 2008

News that Isn't

I am now at liberty to share Jason's happy secret, but it has changed, so let me explain. Jason has worked at Wood Patel for a while and decided to explore some other options. For several reasons, most of which I have vented about on here previously, he decided to interview with another company. They offered him a job, at a lame rate, but accepted our counter-offer.

It was an exciting time and Jason was very happy, hence one of his five happies on Friday. His boss wasn't in on Thursday or Friday and looking at his schedule, Jason didn't think he'd see him on Monday so he planned to set up a meeting to put his two weeks notice in on Tuesday. On Friday, the company laid off five people just from the East Valley office (20%) so Jason figured him leaving might be a relief to them. His boss happened to be there late Monday evening so Jason sprung the news on him.

Obviously I wasn't there but it seems like they were totally shocked and on a mission to find out what they could do to keep Jason around. The next day, Tuesday, he had to make a decision: to leave or to stay. Both of us came up with our lists comparing the two options and after much prayer, we knew what the best thing to do was, and that was for Jason to stay with Wood Patel. Not only did I not get to reveal the surprise on Tuesday, but now it seems that there is really nothing to say since he's not leaving!

Actually though, I think the events have brought about some realizations for Jason's bosses that are very important for Jason. The head of his office admitted to overlooking Jason's "unique" situation (EIT plus years of Design experience), they realized that they were not currently supporting his career goals, they verbally told him he's respected for more than just the Design experience and they did not want him to go, eventhough they are a bit slow. They matched the other company's offer, which is actually even better because their health care is so much less. There were a few things I was leary about and wanted Jason to talk to his boss about, but before he had the chance, his boss addressed them with one of the head guys. That reassured me that he really was fighting for Jason to stay, but not just that, for him to be satisfied too.

While my news wasn't that of pregnancy or relief of real estate investments, it is good and exciting news for our family! It is a reminder that Jason is so close to being able to go forward with full force into his career. Wahoo!!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

T. Cooks time!!

mad white woman said...

ryan: i'm pretty sure we agreed we can't take you there until the house sells... but since you are always looking for an excuse to go, you and kathryn should go celebrate for us and i'll watch your girls. :)

Trent & Lindz said...

Woo Hoo! That is great news! I know Trent is SO excited about Jason staying with Wood Patel. Now we're just hoping for an offer ourselves from them. Keep you're fingers crossed. It's a scary market out there. Congratulations though. Jason Really needed that boost.

angela hardison said...

I wanna go to T. Cooks! Sell the house already :) Just kidding.

This is great news. Tell Jason congrats. Also tell him he's my inspiration for giving up candy during the week and losing weight, but I just can't quite seem to do it yet...

Oh and I'm glad you think I'm cool.

Kleinmans said...

Anna! That's great news! I'm so happy for how that worked out for you guys! Woo Hoo! Thanks for your sweet post on my blog. I like your idea about the white board. I wish we could have something like that for our voice mail and the ten billion calls we get a day (mostly from my Granny that has nothing else to do!) We're doing good though and we'll try to keep everyone posted. Congrats again! Have you tried Roy's? I think it's better than T. Cook's!

Justin & Carli said...

Congratulations to Jason. That is good that things worked out the way they were suppose to. Sometimes people take good workers like Jason for granted. It good to let them know once in a while just what a good worker they have. Congratulations again!

Brenden+Nikki said...

YAY! Congrats! This is what Brenden had to say: "Yeah, he's done a lot for Wood Patel, they would be stupid to let him go." So YAY Jason and Anna! :) Way to do the negotiating and getting what you want. I think that's awesome!

......I did think you were going to say that you pregnant though.....