I've heard more than once that if you are feeling down, make a list of all your blessings to realize how much we've been given. Then, read your list every time you are down to be reminded of how blessed you are. I absolutely love Hymn #241, Count Your Blessings. I have always loved it because of the words (oh, and because it's easy to play on the piano so I don't make many mistakes, ha!). For some time, I've had the song memorized and if I'm feeling down, I sing the words until I am able to remember how blessed I am and it works every time.
When upon life's billows you are tempest-tosssed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; every doubt will fly,
And you will singing as the days go by.
When you think of other's with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money can not buy
Your reward in Heaven nor your home on high.
So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.
I enjoy how the verses seem to coincide with the progression of my feelings and it addresses all aspects of the feelings I feel when I sometimes forget to recognize my blessings. First, when we are down and out, think of our blessings. If it gets worse and we feel like life is too much, count our blessings. If we find ourselves wishing we had the worldly posessions someone else does, think of our eternal blessings, since that is what matters. And finally, it doesn't matter if it's big or small, "Do not be discouraged; God is over all." That line is so powerful and reassuring to me. If you believe in the truthfulness of that simple message, there is no need to get too upset.
So here is a list of things, in no particular order after the first few, I'm grateful for (you didn't think Thanksgiving would pass without me making a list, did you?) 1. Jason, a husband that loves me 2. Clara, a sweet, beautiful healthy baby 3. Jesus Christ, my Savior 4. Heavenly Father 5. The Holy Ghost 6. The Scriptures 7. The Gospel 8. Temples 9. A living prophet 10. My family 11. Prayer 12. Church buildings 13. Food to eat 14. The Atonement 15. Testimony 16. Education 17. Ability to work from home 18. Good health 19. Health insurance 20. Friends 21. Running water 22. Electricity 23. Eye sight 24. Hearing 25. Music 26. Service (given & received) 27. Thoughtful people 28. Trials (not always when they are happening though, but I'm working on it) 29. Freedom 30. USA 31. House 32. Reliable cars 33. Bed 34. Eternal marriage 35. Internet 36. Books 37. Modern medicine 38. Doctors 39. Candy :) 40. Holidays 41. Extended family 42. Flowers 43. My garden 44. Generous employers 45. Good jobs 46. Clothing 47. Talents 48. Safety 49. Missionaries 50. Priesthood 51. Deoderant 52. Soap 53. Dental hygiene items
Really, after reading the first 11 or so, I realize those things alone should make me grateful for the life I have. Those things should be enough to sustain me in any situation.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment