Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ode to Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving! I appreciate this holiday, not just for the neverending feasts it seems to bring, but I also enjoy reflecting on the many things I'm grateful for. I made a lengthy list of my blessings (imagine that, me make a long list...) so that if I'm ever feeling down I can read it to remember how blessed I am. At the top of the list are: Jason, Clara, Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father, the Gospel, the Scriptures, the Temple and my family. I love my family and enjoy spending time with them.

I had this great idea when we woke up to go get donuts and a paper from the grocery store and then go watch Rachel finish the 10k Turkey Trot. Well, it didn't all go according to planned, we never saw Rachel after looking for her for about 30 minutes (plus about 20 minutes of walking to and from the finish line) which made Clara late for her nap. Normally, that wouldn't be bad, but she's been so sick. I think she has Croup. Anyway, while she napped Jason and I made 10 pounds of mashed potatoes. Then we were off to my mom's for our feast. Yum. I was excited because last year I had to be cautious about what I ate since I was so fat and pregnant. This year, nothing held me back. As always, there was plenty of good food. Here's just a few of the company. I was trying to stuff my face and Clara's so fast that I didn't think to get a picture while everyone was eating.
Afterwards, we just visited. I was outside with Steve, Daniel and Sarah (Daniel's friend) and decided I wanted to ride on Daniel's motorcycle. The first, last and only other time I attempted that was in Snowflake about 13 years ago. After running into the house, the garbage cans and barely missing the car, I opted to leave that adventure for another time. Now that I'm so much older, I figured I could handle a tiny little motorcycle. Too bad we didn't get my foolishness on video today. I was concentrating so hard on letting the clutch out ever so slowly with my left hand, I didn't realize I was pulling down on the gas with my right. It jerked forward and as I tried to hang on to the bike as tight as I could with my right hand (the GAS) the front wheel shot straight up. Luckily I jumped off, but I was hanging on the right handle with all my might trying to keep the bike from smacking Rachel's car (which, by the way, just got a new bumper) not realizing I was giving it so much gas and that's why it kept getting harder to hold on to. This all happened very fast and I thought I was going to die if I didn't let go, so I did and Daniel helped save me. I hurt my hand and I think I hurt the bike a little bit. Wooops! Everyone laughed and I retired for the day from trying to ride the bike. Steven ran over to give me a hug. I'm not sure if it was because I got hurt or because he was so embarassed for me. Ha. Someday I'll be smart enough...

Okay, Angela is babysitting her business partner's dog Feather. Clara and Feather loved each other and although this picture gives the appearance that Clara is petrified, she's totally happy. I think Angela got some better ones. To all those that don't think we have seasons in Arizona... this is of the changing leaves in my parent's yard. :)
Little Beaver Teeth loving Angela's necklace.
Clara loved all of the pumpkin pie Angela fed her. She'd just open her mouth and wait for more. And would go towards the fork every time it got near her mouth.

My camera battery died so I don't have very many pictures. Plus, I am getting sick and feel terrible so even if I had better pictures (I do have a few) I wouldn't upload them tonight! I am going to bed even though it's super early because I feel so icky. Poor little Clara has been coughing since I laid her down. Poor little baby. I think this is like the fourth time we've been sick in the last couple of months. Clearly that is not normal for us... Can't imagine why I keep getting sick! :)

3 comments:

angela hardison said...

I don't have any better pictures of Clara with the puppy... I do however have that picture of Clara's face that makes her look sooooo sick. I'm gonna need you to post the pictures from lastnight so I can steal them. Thanks.

Maren said...

maybe you should stay off the motorcycle for awhile! that was kind of a funny story though. the pictures that were going thru my head as i read it was quite comical! you're right, arizona does have seasons-everything goes from green-ish to brown because it all dies! : ) definately doesnt compare to bekas pics from her trip back east! so pretty.

raquel raney said...

I am glad that Feather made a friend. So cute.