Our house was supposed to be substantially complete on November 1, 2006... and it's still not done.
We decided to go forward with our spec home, found out I was pregnant with Clara and Jason quit his job and started his own business all within a few months (based on those facts, you'd never guess I was a reserved accountant!)
I got approved on my own for our construction loan, but I don't think we can get approved together for our long-term financing because we make much less now and there are some serious issues transpiring in the lending industry. Unless I keep getting $40 paychecks, then there might be some hope.
Originally we were told we'd put $0 down and over a year later, we have put our ENTIRE savings down... or used it to make unexpected payments (I'm sure one day I will have the world's most negative post and accumulate all the jokes related to this great idea). On top of that, we had to get a student loan to pay for Jason's semester.
They say a couple's most fun times are when they are poor and I'm pretty sure we, by definition are POOR. Therefore, I'm looking forward to much fun and good times in the next few months.
Jason and I are going to be so healthy because we won't be able to afford much meat and we're going to eat lots of rice and beans. This is even funnier if you know how much Jason loves meat.
Every time I talk to certain people, I try to sell them their dream house, hasn't worked yet.
I've learned all the ins and outs of investing in real estate so my next spec home will go much smoother (roaring laughter for that one).
And here is the beautiful home that has brought such 'joy' to my life...

8 comments:
I feel the stress you guys must be under. Lindsay and I are feeling the same pressures from the current lending industry. When we started building "our" house we were able to qualify purely off our credit. That made it possible for us to buy something while we were still in school.
Unfortunately, most(if not all)lenders are requiring full documentation or 10% down payment. Since we do not have either of those we are going to be renters for a year. Shortly after graduation we should be in a position to purchase a home. All the excitement of owning a home has gone down the drain this past week for us. On a positive note I don't think that home prices will change very much over this next year with the amount of foreclosures and the crappy loan programs that are available. At least I try to believe that.
Posted by Matt
you are handling it super well, Anna, honestly, i think i would be a mess by now! good thing you were smarter to save $$- us on the other hand, not so smart when it comes to savings....everything will work out for you guys, i cant wait to celebrate with you when it does:)!!
is this house in utah? it is really pretty! so, why did you take on this adventure in the first place? dont take that rudely, just wondering. i have heard you talk a lot about it. how much are you trying to sell it for? is it a custom house or in a community? i am asking questions cause my cousin is moving to utah from ohio and they are looking for a house. when will it be done?
i emailed it to my cousin. what are the particulars of the house? bed/bath/upgrades?
i sent her the link and the pics on the site are during construction phase? will you send pics you have? you should have your realty people update site! arent you paying for that too? smurkov@aol.com p.s. would you ever do this again?
I agree...sometimes you just have to laugh. Everyone has crazy times and if someone seems like they have a perfect life then they are just really good fakers! HAHA! I will have to read that article! For what it is worth, I really like the house.
p.s.Clara is so cute!
p.p.s we did the celebrity look-a-like thing and tell Jason not to feel bad. I was a 72% match with Jim Carrey and also a match with some Chinese lady. Aaron's highest match was with Jaime Fox and then not to far down the line was Katie Holmes! What are they smokin????
I almost had it sold today to our intern's ex-boyfriend's parents :) They currently live in Provo and are looking for a new house somewhere, but they wanted to downsize...not sure if this one would be downsizing. Anyway though, I'm spreading the word.
Everything will work out. And hey, Clint & I will probably be very poor too once we have a house payment...we can eat beans & rice for dinner together. And in case I start making millions, I'll just cook food for you everyday to repay you for making us dinner every night.
Has it been listed in Craigslist?
Wow guys...looks like you could sell your house through your blog! This is Curt. How cool would that be? What kind of agreement do you have w/ your realtor? I don't know much about realtors, but there is a form of listing agreement (I think it's called "exclusive w/ right to sell" or something like that) It means that if you find a buyer on your own you don't have to pay a realtor's commission. They are rare for a lot of properties, but common on spec homes and homes over $400k.
Post a Comment