Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Clara's Birthday

Last year when I was reading Charlie and The Chocolate Factory to Clara, I decided it'd be so fun to do a party around that theme. The more I thought and planned, I decided maybe we should just go have the party at the Cerreta Chocolate Factory in Glendale. So we made the invitations be the golden tickets, attached them to candy bars and waited for the party. I think I was just as excited as Clara. 
We got to have her party on her actual birthday, Saturday, December 21st. Jason drove my mom's van and I drove ours and we had so much fun! It was really hands on and the lady that did our tour and everything else was funny and fun. Since it was a Saturday, none of their machines were supposed to be running, but we lucked out and got to watch them make caramel. The kids got to help package chocolates, break up a big bar of chocolate, make their own chocolate pizza (even filling their pizza form with chocolate themselves) and Clara got to put the broken chocolate in the melter (whatever it's called). It was great. 
I made a sack lunch for each girl and we ate there and they let us open presents there too. I didn't have to do cake, goody bags, decorations or clean my house and the girls all loved it. It was totally worth the small price I paid for each kid. Oh yeah, also, lots of delicious samples. I'd definitely do another party there. In fact, Hazel keeps saying she wants to go there for her party.  
This final picture I took of Clara before coming home really sums up her personality. She is full of life and I love her so very much. At the ripe old age of seven, this girl loves to read (like LOVES to read), still lets me hold her, still sits on my lap and kisses me on the lips, still loves fruits and vegetables (mushrooms, mini peppers and broccoli top the list), loves meat like her dad and loves to deep clean. She is a bit dramatic but is so logical, reasonable and responsible. I am constantly grateful that she is my oldest because she is so patient, understanding and forgiving, which is what I need as I try to figure out what I'm doing as a mom. She is independent, but very social. She is giving and selfless and just wants to do what's right. She loves helping me in the kitchen and loves animals a lot (like a lot, a lot). She's got my wacky ribs and is obsessed with paper/organizing/pens/office supplies/you get the picture, just like I was (and still am). She really is a gem and such an extraordinary little girl.
Left: Clara and Hazel showing off their chocolate pizzas. Right: When we got home, Clara got to open presents from us. She seemed most excited about Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. She also got a scooter and a few books. It was a really fun day and yes, I had Clara and Hazel wear matching outfits. :)  

4 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

That WAS a great idea! Looks awesome. She really is a precious girl :) But now I need to know... what are wacky ribs?

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

What a fun idea for a birthday party! We have toured their candy factory before, but it was a long long time ago. I'm thinking it was pre-Oliver (I'm one of those moms that remembers dates by their kids' achievements.)

I can't believe Clara is 7! She is beautiful! Next year is a big one!

Kari Whiting said...

That is such a great idea!! I bet it was loads of fun!!!

Lisa said...

What a great theme for a birthday, and it looks like it was tons of fun too!