I love Christmas time. I can't say it enough. This year I planned to use the girls' dresses that I bought for our pictures as their Christmas dresses to wear to church. But then I made an impulse buy when I see these super cute tights and dresses online. Clara's fit pretty good, but Hazel's was way too big. Too bad, she wore it anyway. I just made her pull it up in some of the pictures so I could see her boots and tights. :) Before church (the Sunday before Christmas), we went and played in the neighbor's leaves.
I sure love these darlings.
That same Sunday was our big Christmas program at church. Somehow I agreed to play the flute for one of the songs. I haven't played the flute in public since Jr. High. That's a long time! Anyway, I practiced like crazy (our choir pianist recorded the song onto a CD so I could practice with accompaniment as much as I wanted - that helped) and everything went pretty smoothly. I was proud of myself because I only played the flute for 4 years or so before I switched to the oboe and I haven't played it in front of people since. I have a flute because I needed an instrument when we first got married and the $100 flute was more affordable than the piano I wanted. Anyway, it was a great program. I love having so much music and song focused directly on our Savior and His birth. What a glorious thing to celebrate. Plus, I get to sit on the stand for the entire meeting and watch Jason take care of the girls. That makes me smile and fall in love even more.
On Christmas Eve, we stuck with tradition and opened a gift (jammies! I love that I can still get matching footie pj's from Land's End despite their age gap) and then went to Grandma and Grandpa Melzer's for caroling and lights in Grandpa's truck, donuts and hot chocolate and a story from Grandpa. He told the story of his Uncle Jack again this year, the firefighter that risked his life on Christmas Eve to try and save a lady and her babies.
Christmas morning was calm and fun. Growing up, Christmas morning always seemed a little crazy, but I guess that's the difference between 7-9 kids and two. :) Hazel got blocks and Clara got Legos. They got plenty of other things too and loved the Barbies they got.
We went over to my mom's later for our traditional biscuits and gravy and to hang out. I couldn't resist a few pictures of them in Brother Allen's yard... happens every year.
Clint pointed out James wouldn't be around next Christmas since he'll be on his mission. Awww! So I took a picture of him looking like the Michelin man in his new snowboarding attire and then a close up one of him and I. He's a sweet kid and I'm going to miss him, but it will be fun to have a missionary in the family again. We've had a dry spell.
Hazel chugging soda and pictures with Grandpa Melzer.
We went home and Ryan and Kathryn and kids came over for a little bit. Christmas always feels like a long day, but it's also over before I know it. Glad we're only 9 months away from the next Christmas instead of 12 since it's taken me three months to blog Christmas 2013.









1 comment:
Wow! I had no idea you played the flute! And how scary to play for people after not playing in public for so long. I also play the flute and end up playing once a year (sometimes twice) for church. I'm super grateful for the opportunity because it forces me to practice... but boy howdy does it make me nervous.
I love the dresses and tights! great find!
Post a Comment