Sunday, January 12, 2014

Glasses

Towards the end of Kindergarten, Clara told me she had to move to the front of the classroom to see. Just as summer was coming to an end, I finally took Clara into the eye doctor and wasn't surprised to hear she needed glasses. Our eye doctor, and my good friend Matt, called me afterwards to make sure I was doing okay because he knows it can be hard when a child needs glasses. Is your eye doctor that nice? :) Anyway, I explained to him that I think kids with glasses are mostly darling and I was always jealous of the kids that got to wear glasses in high school. We started hunting and realized it is very difficult to find glasses for a small face. After going to multiple Costcos, Target and Wal-Mart, we finally found some at the store of the company where our doctor works. I was hoping to avoid that, thinking it'd be more expensive, but it was actually a really great deal. We ordered them and waited. It was the first time I've ever had to buy glasses for anyone so I learned a lot. The first thing Clara said to me when she got her glasses was, "Mom, I can see your zit." As we were leaving the place and I told her she needed to be wearing them most of the time, she acted annoyed and completely surprised that she had to actually wear them. She quickly learned how useful they are and quickly put them on without me asking or reminding. The day she got them, she told Hazel, "They will only replace them one time without us having to pay for it so I have to take care of them." Then she wouldn't let Hazel play with them. I was glad she understood the importance of taking care of them from day one and understood what our warranty covered. She looks absolutely darling in them, but I know how cruel kids are so I asked her what she would do if someone made fun of her. She replied, without hesitation, "I'd blow bubbles with my spit and walk away." Man, I love her.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I think those glasses are adorable on her! I (knock on wood) have never needed glasses either. I was the only one in my family who had good eyes growing up. I love Clara's response if anybody made fun of her... hopefully she never had to use it on anybody!

Kami Milliron said...

Awesomesauce ! Just be careful because Josh has broken Douglas' glasses at least a dozen times. Mostly because he is a stinker and he will grab them right off Douglas' face but also Douglas will leave them somewhere where Josh finds them. So we bought the warranty - best decision ever !

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

great glasses! She is stylin'!

Lindsay said...

What a thoughtful eye doc! ;)