Due to a much better state emotionally and not having near the same stresses I had with my previous miscarriage, I assumed I'd be able to handle this better. But, I experienced the exact same sadness and that surprised me. I don't have the depression, just the sadness. Sadness over everything that was anticipated that will no longer happen (for now, anyway): telling people, finding out the gender, having a baby(!), having a baby at the same time as friends, etc., etc.
With that being said, I have had so many thoughts going through my head during the last several weeks. First and foremost, I don't know that I can ever reconcile the command to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth with the struggles people deal with when trying to keep that commandment. I know of no other commandment that too often people are not able to follow through on despite their solid efforts to try and their sincere desires. I know we're all given different trials and struggles to help us become the people we need to become, but this one is just so ironic in my opinion.
I've also been reminded that peace and pain/sadness/heartache can coexist. I have felt so much sadness, but also so much peace and reassurance that even though it's hard, there is a greater plan. It's hard to understand why my "righteous" desires aren't what's best for me and my family at this time, but I still know that's the case. I know everything happens for a reason even if some things don't seem to make a bit of since. I know I need to trust in the Lord's timing. I also know as I look back at some of my other trials and struggles, unanswered prayers have resulted in my most tremendous blessings.
I love my doctor. When I had my last miscarriage, he cried, gave me a hug and told me if Heavenly Father wanted me to have a healthy baby and something was wrong with that one, I'd have a miscarriage. With this one, he told me how it seems like miscarriages come in waves for his patients and he's had a lot the last few weeks. He said he hopes this is the last one because he hates it. He said this is not why he went into this business. He is genuine, sweet and never downplays the difficulty of having a miscarriage. I also respect him for not sugar coating anything. He's very honest. He said usually miscarriages are about 1/6 of all pregnancies, so to have 2/4, that's definitely not good odds. Obviously, that's another reason for me to not start gambling. :) He explained that there is nothing I could have done to prevent or avoid it. Deep down, I know that, but it's hard not to feel like my body is a little faulty considering my odds being much higher than a "normal" person.
The day I found out, I was alone in the car a few times throughout the day. That's when I cry the most and that's when it hurts the most. There were a few times where I felt desperate to escape the feelings I was having. Surely that's why people drink and use other substances to mask their feelings. In that moment, I wanted more than anything not to feel what I was feeling. A sad heart really hurts and I wanted it gone right then. Since I don't abuse substances beyond sugar and water and I wasn't feeling real hungry, I just hummed a song. Us Mormons typically think of it as a missionary song, but the last four lines, as follows, just popped into my head and were rather fitting:
So trusting my all to Thy tender care,
And knowing Thou lovest me,
I'll do Thy will with a heart sincere,
I'll be what You want me to be.
We had told our family on Mother's Day that I was pregnant and a few friends found out as well. My last miscarriage happened a few weeks sooner and we hadn't told anyone, so we didn't have to un-tell anyone. Telling friends and family that it wasn't going to work out was hard and kind of awkward. It took me about 15 minutes to think how to phrase the text. Every time someone text back or called (I didn't feel like talking, so I didn't answer the phone), I cried because I was reminded of the situation and I also knew I was loved. I kept wondering why I would cry when someone said, "I'm sorry" and I realized it's because I had a reason for them to be sorry. I wish I didn't have a reason for people to say sorry. I was thankful for the apologies, just not loving that I had a reason for apologies.
When I got back from the doctor, Hazel asked me, "Did you get a baby?" That made me cry, of course. Then Clara came and asked me if I got to see the baby so I had to explain to her what was happening. She started crying. The next day she brought it up again and said, "That's so sad." I told her it was but it was also a good opportunity to bear testimony to her that even though we don't understand and it is sad and hard, it's important to have faith and trust that this is what Heavenly Father wants for our family.
It's so easy to focus on our misfortune and look at people that have what we want. How do some people have 6 babies with 6 pregnancies? How do some people make it through having no miscarriages? Ever? Why can't I have two consecutive viable pregnancies? How do some people never have issues getting pregnant? After I spent a fair amount of time feeling sorry for myself and feeling overwhelmed with my aching heart, I thought about my friends who haven't had children yet. I thought of people who have grown and never had kids. I thought of people who were never able to have their own kids and have adopted. I wondered why in our moments of grief it's so easy to compare ourselves to people that have what we're grieving for instead of being grateful for what we have. Sure it takes 5 months to get pregnant, but what about the person that it took 2 years? Sure I'd like 4 kids, but what about the person that always just wanted one? By late afternoon, I almost felt guilty for being so sad about this when I have two brilliant, incredible little children. I almost felt greedy thinking that I should ask to be blessed with another one. (Is there such thing as righteous greed?)
Now, I'm okay until I think about it too much. I usually cry when I do. If I do something to try to get my mind off it, like go shopping, when I'm shopping I'll think about why I'm there and the feelings all resurface. On top of being emotional, it's frustrating knowing how far back it sets things. I really struggled with that when I miscarried between Clara and Hazel. It had taken several months to get pregnant. Then I miscarried and it took several months to get pregnant again. From the time we started trying to when I found out I was pregnant with Hazel, it was almost exactly a year. This time, it took several months to get pregnant and I miscarried a few weeks later than the first. I feel like I wasted two months of my life being tired and worthless. I slacked off majorly on my work because I was so exhausted and now, we're back to square one with the expectation that it will likely take several months to get pregnant again. I'm grateful I was only 10 and a half weeks (yes the half counts), but starting over is still hard.
For the record, being sad with my own misfortune doesn't make me less excited for friends and family that I know are having babies or that are pregnant.
Jason isn't sad about it, but unlike last time, I was a lot more open with him about how I felt so even if he wasn't experiencing the same feelings and emotions as I was, he would kind of understand what I was going through physically and emotionally. Not having that support last time was really hard and I didn't want a repeat. He's been very helpful and sarcastic just enough to make me laugh. With that said, I've been grateful for family and girlfriends that knew. Some of them know firsthand what it's like to have a miscarriage and also to not have control over the timing of their family. Some of them can only imagine what it's like, but they offer support and love regardless. I had flowers, treats, a heart attacked door, a homemade apple pie (fresh from the oven) and offers to bring dinner. It makes it just a little easier to feel the peace and comfort when I am being served.
It's been 10 days since I found out things weren't right and just a week since I miscarried, yet it feels like it's been months. I feel like I'm well on my way to starting over and am grateful my energy is mostly back and for the precious family I've already been generously blessed with. God is good.



15 comments:
I am so sorry. I have not experienced sadness more deeply than when feeling like the timing of my children is completely out of my control. I'll be praying for peace and healing for you. {{{hugs}}}which
Anna u r seriously one of my favorite people! I really admire your strength.
I am so sorry this happened, but so glad you are motivated to "keep moving forward"
p.s. I just quoted Meet The Robinson's ;)
Love you Anna!
I love you Anna. God truly has His own timing. One day when you are old and are lookig at your grandchildren you will be able to take note of the blessings within all of the heartaches. If you ever need somebody to talk to I am just a phone call away.
Oh Anna, I'm just sitting here sobbing. I am so, so sorry. I never know what to say besides that. It's so painful. My heart aches for you. And yes, peace and sadness can coexist, I love that you said that. Sadness and happiness can happen at the same time. Thinking about you...
I'm so sorry. I have felt that sadness to many times and pray that know one will have to go through that pain. You are amazing person and a great mom.
What an amazing person you are to be able to share such raw and tender thoughts. I really learned something new and felt deeper by reading your perspective - thank you. It makes me wonder... maybe the commandment to multiply is not so much about the results but maybe just the process(?) It's that way with so many of our trials. He has the end result already taken care of, but we just need to go through the experience of disappointment & hardship now and then. SO HARD!!! Anyway, I'm sorry you have had this to deal with right now. I'm grateful for your testimony, and your young, strong, capable body that will definitely have another try! <3 <3 <3
Anna,
I know how you feel. I miscarried once before I ever had a baby. I have had 3 miscarriages. The first was definitely the hardest. I went through all those sad, heartbreaking feelings, not wanting to talk to anyone. The other miscarriages were sad, but also easier to talk about and I felt stronger, like I could handle it better.
My heart goes out to you. It is one of those things we wonder how that fits into the plan. I know one reason is to help others through the same thing. My mom helped me a lot, she said she thought she had had her miscarriages so that she could help me through mine.
There is nothing anyone can say to make it better, only time going by heals hearts.
I love you so much.
You are definitely not alone!
Anna your strength is amazing! I am so sorry. You are in my prayers.
I love you. And I loved this post. Your strength amazes me. And I can at least relate to the frustration about not having control over what you thought was a good plan. I hate it. I'm not good at learning lessons like that either and I hate the hurt and frustration I feel in the pit of my stomach. But you are an example to me as to how to handle setbacks and hiccups in life with grace.
We still need to hang out. I think we'd both benefit from it :).
Anna, my heart aches for you. It's sad you have to experience this again. Once is hard enough!
Clara's reaction was so sad!
I'm glad you have a gospel prospective, but that doesn't mean you won't grieve. Good thing you have friends and family who care and love you to help just a bit... and the Comforter to ultimately bring you peace.
This just stinks. No other way to put it. You are such a good mom. I don't understand why people have the trials that they do have. It just seems unfair and hard...but I know I don't know everything so I don't try to understand why. Your girls are the best. They are so cute and so fun. I'm trying to write this comment without saying "I'm sorry" but it just isn't working out that well. I am truly sorry. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you!!
Anna, I am so sorry. I wish I could come give you a big hug right now. And what a great Doctor you have. My last Doctor was LDS also and it really does make a difference - in my opinion anyway. It doesn't make it any easier, but he is 100 percent right about your body miscarrying a baby because things weren't growing right. Please find comfort in that because I had a pregnancy that went on - even though it should have been a miscarriage. And I ended up having to bury that child. Hardest and saddest thing I will ever do. I mean that with nothing but love from me to you. Our bodies really do know what they're doing and sadly sometimes it ends in heartbreak. Love love love you Mrs Anna : )
Anna! I hardly have time to get on blogger anymore but I was thinking about you today and so I thought I'd sacrifice some sleep to check out your blog to find out what my old friend is up to. I can only imagine the pain you feel. But I'm sure you will be able to bring more spirits to your family in the future. You are so very blessed with a darling family already! I have a good friend who has been married for 9 years and still has not been able to have 1 child. :( You have 2 beautiful girls. Even if you never had anymore (which I'm sure you will) you are still blessed more than some people. I hope you feel better soon. Miss you and love you! Take care my friend and call if you need anything -K-?
1st you look HOT in the bottom pic by the way:)
2nd you are a ROCK Anna- i've always thought that since high school!!
3rd- i'm a crappy friend- why didnt i think to bring you an apple pie?!?!
4th- why havent we hung out all summer? schools' starting soon- aaagghhh!!
Post a Comment