Thursday, June 20, 2013

My Yester{yester}day (aka Tuesday)

I woke up around 6:15am and tried to pretend Hazel wasn't awake. I immediately decided it was time to plaster blackout curtains over her windows since she's been waking up way too early and acting tired long before lunch. She snuggled with me for a bit (well, I think I fell asleep and she just laid her head on my back) and then Jason got up. He sent her to her room to read books, which she did until about 7:00am. Clara woke up around then so I mustered up the energy to peel myself off of my bed. I made green smoothies and eggs for breakfast. Green smoothies because that makes me feel guiltless if I get no greens the rest of the day and eggs at Clara's request. After breakfast, I got ready for work while the girls played. I helped the girls get ready, packed my lunch (cucumbers, cave aged vermont chedder {I did not make that up}, grapes and pistachios), gathered everything for the day and headed out the door around 8:30am to drop Clara and Hazel off at the babysitter (Suzanne today since my mom is sick). I got to work around 9:15am and worked until about 5:15pm. Suzanne fed me and the kids dinner and we visited for a bit. About 6:45pm, we headed to Costco.

Hazel was exhausted from waking up too early and not taking a nap, so she fell asleep a few minutes after we got into the car at Suzanne's. My kids usually don't fall asleep in the car, but Hazel hasn't been sleeping well pretty much all of summer. I was surprisingly quick at Costco, but alas, it was still expensive. I might have to ground myself from Costco. These last few months have been rough since I seem to think a weekly Costco trip is necessary.

After checking out, around 7:45pm, I got a hot dog for Jason and went and loaded the kids and the groceries into the car. We dropped Jason's hot dog off at work and got a tour of his office. We loaded the kids back up around 8:15pm and I headed home. Still in my heels and work clothes, I carried all the groceries in, got the girls ready for bed, had prayer and scriptures and off they went to dreamland. I put the groceries away and even though I wanted nothing more than to sit and rest my achy feet, I did the dishes from the last few days. Jason usually does them, but I knew he'd be so happy to come home and not have to worry about that after a long day. Before you think I'm really nice, you need to know that's not something I do often, especially when I have loads of work to get done. But sometimes I try to be nicer than normal. I got that done and sat down around 10:00pm to work. I worked, made "munchies" (roasted lentils) until 1:00am when I started this post.

I still have lots and lots of work to do (even still, 2 days later!), but I thought it important to get this recorded. Tuesday was a long day, but it was impossible not to be grateful for so many things. At the end of the day, my heart was full and I felt so grateful. If we look for blessings and the Lord's hand in our life, we'll find them. I am so grateful that we live close to family that is willing and able to watch my kids on short notice. I know they have fun and I know they are loved and it makes it so much easier to work. As I carried in the groceries, I felt so grateful that I don't have to work every day and that I don't have to do everything alone every day. We like Jason, but I am also grateful for the opportunities he has to work over time. That won't always be there, I know because it hasn't always been there, so we enjoy it while we can. On the flip side, I am also grateful that he's such a hard worker when needed. I am so grateful for my kids. After being in heels and work clothes for 12 hours, I went to change. When I got back into Clara's room to put Hazel's pj's on, I found Clara (sitting on her kitchen) reading a book to Hazel who was sitting in the kitchen sink. It made me smile and I was grateful that I have learned to relax and instead of being upset that they weren't getting ready for bed, I cherished their silliness.

4 comments:

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

It's nice to find the blessings after a long day. Sometimes after a long day, I'm just tired and forget to be grateful. Thank you for the reminder.

I also have pictures of my kids in and on their kitchen "equipment". It makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

You're good at seeing the big picture in life... and all the important little moments along the way.

Jen said...

Today was one of those thankful days. Busy but ever sooo thankful. U really r just amazing Anna!

Beka said...

my boys still wear their soccer jerseys too:)