Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cabin Trip #2

Sunday, March 10th, the day we left from Cabin #1, Clara got sick. I was hoping it was a 24-hour flu, but it was 4 days. FOUR days of stomach flu just like Hazel had (except Hazel's was an extra day) a few weeks later. Clara only threw up once, in her hair, and while I was trying to rinse it out, I had to lay down to keep from throwing up. I thought I was pregnant (might have been?) and didn't think I was sick. It was not a great way to begin Spring Break and I was horrified that we'd infected at least some of the 11 other kids at the cabin with us. Plus, we were going to have to miss out on the next cabin trip. Fortunately, none of those 11 children got sick for their Spring Break and Beka pushed back our trip a day. In the end, everything worked out well. This time, we went to Danny's parent's cabin. We rode up with Beka and her kids. Maren and her girls met us up there and she was kind enough to let Lilly ride with her. Rob and Heather and their girls met us up there as well.

Our views.
Day 1: we arrived, went on a walk and stayed up late playing games.

Hazel eats her Pringles 3-4 at a time.
Day 2: drove all over looking for the goat farm (that we found), drove past an old historic schoolhouse, visited the goat farm, had a picnic at the park, played at the park, hung out, dinner and up again late playing games.
The goat farm had llamas.
And no one was there so the owner showed me where they make the cheese and told me all about how the government regulates their pasteurization process. Fascinating. Unfortunately, they only had a small sample of the cheese. They stop milking the mom's several weeks before their babies are due (in April) so they were out of cheese. But, I decided we'd go back to get some cheese and feed the babies (we actually went yesterday... so I guess that's how life goes when you take over a month to blog about something).
It was funny to see my kids' reactions to the goats. Clara absolutely loved them. Hazel liked them, until they made any movements towards her, and then she squealed and backed away. Clara needs some pet goats. I might have made that a goal of mine: find a way to allow Clara to have a few goats. Also, do Clara's hair so she doesn't look homeless.
 
The two year olds suckered Heather into reading to them on multiple occasions.

I know I already have pictures of these kids eating their ice cream on the deck. But I was taking these pictures and Clara was being a nut (see picture on left and in middle). So I said something to her like, "Clara, stop paying attention to your ice cream and smile" to which she laughed and smiled but Braden and Landon simultaneously looked over at her. It was really funny.
Hazel was entertained by this slinky for so long and I was entertained taking pictures of it for just as long.
Day 3: packed up, cleaned and headed home to Jason, who was on day 3 of being sick in bed.

Despite Clara declaring the first day of the trip a "disastrophy" because she "thought we were going to have a nice, fun trip and the boys were just fighting and yelling and it hurt my ears", we had a lot of fun. I had the best friends in high school and I'm so grateful we've kept in touch and are still able to spend time together after all these years with our families. I also quite enjoy the spouses my friends have selected, it's just double the fun.
The End.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That place look awesome! The views are spectacular too. Sounds like you had another fun trip. =)

Jen said...

Such great pics!
LOVE the slinky ones :)

Beka said...

hahaha- well stated Clara- welcome to our everyday life:)!!! you really captured some great pics too!!

it was still fun- and i finally updated my blog- 20 posts later- or whatever it is....

love their Easter dresses