Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Political Vomit

Last night I spent too much time analyzing my sadness: I am sad for Mitt Romney. All that time and money! It makes me sad to see good money wasted, but even more sad to see America waste the opportunity to have someone like Romney lead our great Nation. It would have been amazing. I have never felt so sad at the end of an election as I do tonight and I know exactly why. Our Country is on a slippery slope and I wish our President's vision for the Country was in line with the values that this Country was founded on. Instead, the next four years will bring bigger government, more restrictions and I'm guessing a more depressed economy. We will have to fight for our rights like we never have before. Romney has American values and would have helped make sure our Country remains the greatest nation. Obama, on the other hand, is totally un-American. I don't care where he was born. He's un-American by the things he does. He's attacked and continues to attack what makes our Country great. His vision is so far removed from what makes America America. His policies make me sick to my stomach and never before have I felt like so much is at stake. I have nothing against people that welcome and enjoy socialistic and communistic ideologies, but America is not the place for them. If that's what you enjoy, go enjoy them elsewhere. I am sad for our Country. I am sad for all the many people who worked so hard and gave so much to make this Country what it has been, what it could be and what it should be: the land of the free and the home of the brave. I am sad for people that gave their lives so we could enjoy a country unlike none other because if they saw where our country is headed, they might feel like their ultimate sacrifice was in vain.

Today I have spent too much time analyzing this question: what in the world is going on? I feel like the things that matter most are under attack. Our freedoms, the sanctity of marriage, our safety and the sacredness of life. I am bothered that I feel like our Country is in the midst of a transformation that has taken us and will continue to take us in a direction different than what God and the founders of our Country envisioned. But what is more upsetting is that so many people don't seem to realize it. Or maybe they just don't care? Maybe they do take our freedoms for granted and assume that a President wouldn't take them away. I don't think that I am in the minority with my thoughts and feelings, but how did the majority of Americans think it was a good idea to re-elect Obama? How on earth did less Republicans vote for Romney than they did McCain (no offense to McCain, but let's be honest, he wasn't the greatest Republican candidate)? I really do not understand.

As upsetting as it is, peace has come through prayer and my anxiety has been tamed through scripture study. I still have my family, the Gospel and my testimony. God is still God and He will still continue to bless those that are righteous. We can choose to be happy. We can choose to have courage, faith and strength and continue to influence our children and those around us for the better. We can stand up for what we know and believe in and encourage others to do it as well. And the silver lining in it all? I'm pretty sure Jesus is coming soon.

Oh, and also, it's a great day to take your dog for a walk.

6 comments:

Christi said...

You said it so well Anna. I have felt the same way all day. Just sad and nervous about our future.

Kathryn said...

I hurried up and wrote a political post before I read anyones, just to make sure I was spitting my own vomit.

But...when gas prices are through the roof, maybe Ryan and Jason can buy a tandem bike and ride together to work:)

Jen said...

As i keep thinking more and more about it, I am starting to feel peace.

Things are continually getting worse and worse and that's all part of the plan.

More testing and opportunities to make choices.

We knew things would get worse before the 2nd coming. And i think this played a MAJOR roll in that plan.

Brenden+Nikki said...

I agree with Jen - that was my very first thought. Although I literally felt sick to my stomach too from disappointment I had to also admit at the same time that we KNOW it has to get bad before it can get better. It's all part of the plan.

Kami Milliron said...

Anna, I couldn't have said it better ! You know what I realized during the election ( even before Obama was re - elected ) ? The world is supposed to get worse. It is supposed to be more wicked. It's a prophecy we've been taught. It's in the Scriptures ! So of course Obama would win. I felt that before election night. I WANTED Romney to win sooo bad and I prayed and prayed that he would. But then I had that realization that wickedness is supposed to get worse - which is why it's more important than ever that we hold tight to that Iron Rod. And I agree with you . . I think the Lord will be here very soon. Or at least I hope He will : )

Heather Williams said...

Can I just say Ditto to everything you just said.