Thursday, August 16, 2012

When Can You Start?

Jason has been looking for a new job for a while. He's had a few interviews here and there and a few job offers, but nothing has worked out or felt right. Recently he had the opportunity to interview with a firm that is 4 miles from our house (3.7 if you want to be exact). He currently drives about 36 miles (each way), so location alone was a major benefit.

I felt guilty asking for this to work out, especially during times when so many people are struggling to find work and those that have work are underemployed. We have had many financial blessings in the last few years and asking for more just made me feel greedy. I was content with his current situation, but beyond the financial aspect, I realized a job that didn't limit his career growth and opportunities and one that would allow him to be home with his family more (and happier when he was home!) was well worth petitioning for.

We anxiously awaited the offer but weren't surprised that it came. The offer, however, was nearly $10k less than his current salary. While we weren't basing our decision on a big raise, we also weren't expecting to be asked to make less than a lateral move. Jason and I thought about it, prayed about it and made our favorite pro/con t-chart. We decided that a $3k cut would be reasonable and acceptable considering the gas he'd save, the time he'd save, the opportunities he'd have and the better health insurance. He also would have the potential to earn more since his pay structure would change. We were a little nervous with our counter offer since it wasn't really in the middle of our current salary and the original offer, but we decided less than that meant it was not a good idea. We sent the counter at about 2am and had a response by about 7am the next morning: When can you start?

So for the first time in over 10 years, Jason will be starting a new job. We're a little nervous but mostly excited for this new adventure. I love the calm reassurance that comes after making a big decision to let m e know we made the right choice. I look back and think, "How was it so nerve-racking to make such an obvious decision?" Of course the answer is it's because at the time, we didn't know. Once we got our answer, the calm was the reassurance that we'd done the right thing.

He'll definitely miss his friends he's worked with and known for so long, but overall, the change will be a good thing. As a courtesy to his current firm, he gave three weeks notice to help them get further along on the project he was assigned to. Halfway through the second week, he realized he should have considered his motivation level when giving three weeks. :) But, he powered through and made it through the last week. Today was his last day and he starts his new job on Monday. It's a Civil Engineering firm, just like he's at now, so he'll be doing the same type of work. He came home giddy and ready for something new. We are excited to see what awaits.
{And I was excited he let me take a picture on his last day. I love him.}

9 comments:

Rachel+Co said...

!!! this is such great news for jason! i'm so excited for all of you!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

woo hoo!

Jen said...

Congrats on this new adventure!
I Love blessings :)

Amy said...

Congrats Jason! Short commutes are the best.

Heather Williams said...

Congrats. The location couldn't be any better.

kate said...

Oh this is awesome! I am happy for you guys!

Reading this seemed so surreal, Landon and I have been talking about options for jobs, locations, pay, counter offers, etc. It makes me feel grown up and a little bit scared... are we really going to be DONE with school? Crazy town.

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! I hope he transitions smoothly into his new workplace. I'm jealous of the quick commute!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I'm excited for Jason! That's a great change!!! He'll have to let me know how things are going down there. I'm interested. (And I'm not saying that with a negative tone of voice, I truly am interested)

DeWitts said...

Congrats on the new job. I'm so happy for you guys.