As luck would have it, both kids were sick Friday and we decided rather than taking them to sleep in the freezing weather (the low was in the mid-20's), it'd be best to sleep in our own beds in our own house. Clara was so set on going and I had really been looking forward to it, so we decided to leave early Saturday morning and just go up for the day.
We spent the morning just hanging out, visiting, playing games and letting the kids roll around in the dirt. After all, we were headed back to running water that same day, so there was no harm in dirt overload. Just so you know, Hazel is at possibly the least camping-friendly phase ever. She was old enough to know she did not want to be held, but since she still wasn't walking, it made for a very filthy day. After that, we headed to the Canyon Creek fish hatchery. The weather was beautiful and we all had a great time. I'm glad we were able to go for the day. I am, however, still looking forward to my much needed multi-day vacation that is scheduled for an unknown date and to an unknown destination. :)
This is what the road to Canyon Creek looks like after the fire. It's always sad to see complete devastation like this, especially when you know what it looked like before. As I stared out the window I thought, My grandkids will come here and see what I did as a kid. I couldn't help but hope their kids and grandkids would get to see the same thing instead of repeating the cycle and seeing this.





2 comments:
One day camping with kids seems ALOT easier, I don't really blame you.
It's funny how different Hazel and Clara look (do you think so too?)
That last photo made me sad. We always went fishing to Black River growing up and after the fire went and the water was black and everything charred. Sad, sad.
I LOVE the collages (especially the grandkid collage. how cool was that). When I was a kid, we use to drive through Yellowstone National Forrest every summer to get to or from my grandparents house (depending on the route). I remember how it looked before the fire, and I am still at awe at how devastating it looks after the fire (even 20 years later). I haven't driven past Black River since the fire, but I'm guessing it gives that same, sad feeling. :(
Post a Comment