Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Thoughts

My Style: When it comes to clothes, for the longest time I was searching for a style that was "my style". I kept trying to find a certain style that I liked completely. Well into my adult life, I realized my style doesn't have to be one thing. I don't have to dress trendy every day, or classy every day or wear skinny jeans every day. I could find outfits I liked and wear them, even if it wasn't the same "style" as what I wore the day before. So my style is a conglomeration of styles, I just wear what I like. Hmmm, this makes me sound dumb. But hey, sometimes I'm slow.

God is in the details: I've had a lot of tender mercies lately. They are small and simple, but regardless, I can't help but say a silent prayer of thanks. Some might think it merely a coincidence, but I don't doubt that God will be in every detail of our life, if only we let Him. Thursday was particularly merciful to me. Hazel's morning nap lasted longer than it has in a long time and Clara's friend invited her over after school, allowing me the time I needed to wrap up some year-end stuff. The wrap up went much quicker than I planned, especially since I was able to miraculously sync QuickBooks to the bank, which previously wouldn't work. Later that afternoon, Hazel took her first step. Yaaaay! One day later, and I would have been at work.

I love nerds!: I spent a few hours figuring out how to recover my my pictures from my old cell phone. I used free software and read a lot of online forums to be able to do exactly what I needed to. When I saw all my pictures I thought were lost, I was so happy that some nice techy took the time to write software that can do this. It's neat.

My Purse: I might have mentioned this before, but my purse is a reflection of the extent to how organized my life is. Currently, it's full of crumbs, loose receipts and random stow aways (mardi gras beads, Clara's hair clip, etc.). It's pretty much a disaster.

Unhealthy choices: I can only make so many healthy decisions before I snap. I snapped this morning and ate brownies and potato chips for breakfast. No worries, I made up for it by eating lots and lots of raw vegetables during the rest of the day. :)

Simple Blessings: Last week I was thinking about following inspiration and how it can affect our lives in such simple ways. And how not acting on inspiration doesn't necessarily give us life-altering consequences, but we miss out on the simple blessings. The simple blessing add up to make life that much happier. If we don't act on those promptings, the consequences are unnoticed. But if we do act on them, the blessings are sweet.

Softball: Jason and I play coed softball together. This is our third season with our team. We played one other time just a year or two after we were married. It was not good for our marriage. I missed one ball and Jason yelled at me (he swears he didn't) and made me switch positions with someone else. Anyway, I'm happy to report that things our much better. The first season we played, we also played on another team. We had a few less than happy moments, but nothing since. I actually look forward to it.

The Engineer: It's finally official. Hallelujah. The thought makes me smile.

Mammoth Posts: I was wondering why I have to do a giant post on the weekend. Why not just do a few small ones during the week? Well, it's because I don't have hardly any time for that during the week and lots of time for that on the weekends.

Assumptions: I am amused with the assumptions people make about me. Lately, I've had a handful of people ask me if I was a cheerleader in high school. What about me makes them think that? I also have had several people surprised to find out I'm an accountant. Do I look too dumb to do that or is it just that I have a personality? A few nights ago I was talking to the cell phone guys in Costco about a phone and the guy mentioned something about one of the operating systems and said, "Do you even know what that means?" I just didn't even answer him. I think next time I will respond and say, "No, I don't. Obviously. I'm a girl, I have two kids, I'm a stay at home mom (well, usually) so obviously I'm dumb and clueless. Right?" Then maybe I'll say, "I need to go change my baby's diaper. Do you even know how to do that?" Just kidding.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you need to use that comment on some young guy who thinks they know it all!! Every time I go into a cell phone place some 18 year old gives me a hard time because my phones are always ancient. I need some comebacks like that but I always think of them too late.

Brenden+Nikki said...

1. I secretly love that you had brownies and chips for breakfast. I've always been impressed with how healthy you are and so this makes me feel better about myself ha ha.

2. Yay yay yay Hazel!!!

3. Yay yay yay Jason!!!

4. I REALLY think you should have said that to the cell phone guy. I never would have thought of that. But now that you wrote it down I'm going to use that response if that ever happens to me.

Jen said...

my purse is full of crumbs too. it's so gross i don't even want to clean it out. (i just never stick my hand all the way tot bottom) yep gross!

I think i will clean out my purse today:)

Krista said...

haha, You crack me up, you should have told that guy what you thought! The last time I went to costco they lady made me feel like a hazard to society with my 3 young kids... (kloey was in school) but really she made me feel aweful! (they were even being good that trip) I just chose to ignor it- i'm doing what i'm suppose to :)
Hurray for Hazel and congrats to Jason!

DeWitts said...

brownies and chips sound like a dream breakfast.

Congrats to Hazel and Jason.

kate said...

I really like when you do posts like this. They are funny. And I feel like I know you better. And I feel like we'd be real life friends if we ever lived in the same place (plus, we both have engineer husbands. Word)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My "purse" is essentially a wallet with straps. I still have loos receipts in it, but I honestly keep my diaper bag in the car so I don't have to tote it around everywhere. I like to go as minimal as possible!

Maybe people think you were a cheerleader because you're so small and petite? Interesting. Also, I have a friend who is an accountant, and when I first found out I was surprised. Not because she's dumb, but because it would have never occurred to me to go into accounting. She LOVES it and I can't imagine loving something like accounting. I can imagine being good at it, but not loving it. So, it's not you...it's them. And I can't believe the cell phone guy would say something like that. Not very good salesmanship skills. Love the diaper comment though.