I've been over-committing myself and losing sleep for too long and it finally caught up to me today. Grating approx. 16 cups of yellow squash, making dinner (see below), waking up early, working during nap time and taking care of my sickly little Hazel today apparently pushed my body right over the edge. My sore, achey body is begging me to sit in bed all night and not move or think. My hips hurt so bad and my neck feels like a wet noodle trying to hold up a giant, steel ball. I don't really have time for this sick business. I wish it would check with me next time before it came uninvited and unannounced. Rude. I have things to do - lots of things to do. And tonight. Maybe no one will notice if I don't do them?
Hazel is sick and really grumpy. I think she cried more today than she has the last year. I'm not kidding. See?
Regardless, I have many reasons to smile:
:: I got 60 pounds of green beans, squash, tomatoes, green peppers and corn on the cob for $10
:: We had an orange dinner (sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, carrots & orange rolls {I used oat flour for my whole grain flour and would definitely make these again, but I think I under-cooked them, sorry guys})
:: Clara jumping
:: Helping Grandpa fertilize
:: Peas fresh from the garden (sadly, not mine, but next year!)
:: Squash that saves itself from falling to its death
:: Family fun Sunday evening (so I love Butterfingers, but I decided they are disgusting if you have to eat them fast - I only ate about 3/4 of mine and wanted to throw up):: Free yogurt
:: Seeing what Clara creates when she can get whatever she wants
:: The orange blossoms (these were picked, brought inside and laid out by Clara to "make our house smell good")
:: Tonight dinner was delicious. After trying a friend's veggie shepherd's pie last night, I decided I'd make one myself. Beans, diced tomatoes, corn (I shucked and boiled 10 ears and was going to use that but tasted it first, only to discover it was the most disgusting corn I've ever had in my life), fresh green beans, carrots, Worchestesire, salt and pepper on the bottom, cheese in the middle and mashed potatoes (I cooked the potatoes in the crock pot - so easy, why have I never done this?) on top. Bonus: we ate outside.
:: Clara climbed into Jason's shirt

************************************************************
After I wrote the above, I sent an e-mail to my client saying I couldn't get his stuff done and within about 30 seconds, I fell asleep. I felt bad while making dinner, but I had no idea how my sickness would progress so much so fast. My body hurt SO bad and I could hardly keep my eyes open. I fell asleep at like 8:30pm and usually don't get to bed before 11pm. I woke up when Jason and Clara got home from his basketball game and had Clara come snuggle with me and we fell asleep together. I woke up again because Hazel woke up screaming. I snuggled her in bed until I almost fell asleep and Jason took her and put her back to sleep.
Compared to last night, I feel better (after all, it's 10pm and I haven't fallen asleep). After another good night's rest, I imagine I'll feel peachy. I rarely get sick and when I do, it comes and goes very quickly. I'm thankful for that. Every time I do get sick I feel so grateful for how capable my body is of getting so much done when it's healthy. Hazel is still sick, but she's been asleep since 7pm and hasn't woken up so I think the ear drops and Motrin are letting her get the sleep her little body needs.
Reasons to smile today:
:: My mom cleaned my kitchen (it was a disaster - just ask my mom)
:: After the kids were in bed, I soaked in the bath tub for an hour
:: My Martha Stewart Living magazine, a check and my new checks all came in the mail (I love getting the mail, even if it's bills, I love mail, so things I like? double bonus)

9 comments:
Oh Anna! Don't crash! I'm so sorry you are sick. My body just ACHES for you. (Although hey, that's not too hard for me to do, now is it?) Please rest and be better. And dang, your kids are so cute!
Ah poor Hazel and you! I hope you both feel better and that you can have some more time to rest. I love all your pictures. They are always so creative and such a fun perspective of life. I think I always smile when I read your blog(even if is a sick post or a you are really busy post) your kids are so fun and very entertaining. I just love Clara's mind haha
I am so sorry you and Hazel have been sick. I hope you are both feeling better. I love the family picture towards the end, it is really cute!
Wow, you sure get a lot done when your sick! Too bad Hazel wasn't feeling good either. I laughed at you green Wal-mart purchases and Clara being in Jason's shirt. Ha ha...
Hope you feel better soon!
And I don't know why but that squash picture made me laugh way harder than it should have. I literally thought it was hilarious.
So sorry you guys are sick. You guys sure are healthy eater over there though. I should probably try to do a little better about that.
And I totally agree about butterfingers. For some reason I can eat the little bite sized ones all day long, but I don't think I can make it through even half of a large one. It's too much and totally grosses me out. Weird.
i'm sorry you and hazel are sick. it seems like everyone is getting it.
I remember the day school was canceled!! Too fun.
Sorry to hear you are sick but I hope you are all better now!
sad baby. Great post!
Post a Comment