Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wrapping Up the Week

On Thursday we decided to fancy up our dinner with some Martinelli's (only because my recipe called for apple juice and all I had was a bottle of Martinelli's so we had an open bottle). I love it when simple things bring the biggest smile to Clara's face. She said, "Am I even old enough to use those cups?" Then, as we both picked up our glasses to drink, she said, "Let's touch our glasses together." So we toasted to books and reading since she's learning to read and we went to the library that day for the first time in way too long.
Hazel might not be walking (or have even the slightest desire to walk, might I add), but she sure is funny. Earlier this week I told her to fold her arms for the prayer and she pulled both her hands to her chest. She also learned to say "nack!" for snack and says it when she's hungry. The older she gets without having hair, the more often she's assumed to be a boy. Oh, and if you sing "If you're happy and you know it", she'll clap her hands right on cue. I'm so bummed this picture is blurry, but it still makes me laugh every time I look at it.
Without even realizing it, I have become terribly lazy in my temple attendance. It's hard with a nursing baby, but I felt rather sheepish as I realized in the last few months I've been quick to get a babysitter for work, to play softball or to go out. It's amazing how easily I can get distracted and before I know it, the gap between reality and who I want to be has gotten much too big. Since Jason got home early from work Friday, I opted for an impromptu solo temple trip. Ahhh.
In addition to feeling inspired and uplifted, I also became obsessed with Carl Bloch's Christ and the Young Child painting, which has recently been added to the artwork hanging in the temple. I've been searching for a tall picture to hang above our fireplace and I think this might be it. Looks like I can get one for less than $400, so hopefully Jason starts saving his lunch money and buys it for me for Christmas. (Wa, ha ha.)

In November I found the cutest pj's for Hazel. When I couldn't find a matching 5T for Clara, I about cried. I just decided this week to let Hazel wear hers and about cried again that I didn't ever find a matching one for Clara. Why did something so lame cause me so much grief? Oh, that's right, because the pajamas are so cute.
The weather on Saturday was beautiful. We spent some time outside as a family. I admired my little garden (growing broccoli for the first time {hooray!}, loving our tomato plant from my spring garden that is still flourishing after the summer heat and the winter chill, proud of our giant turnips) and Clara kept track of the oranges she's picked up to earn extra money.
Jason and I went out Saturday night. We had dinner with friends and then played games. I think it's the longest we have left our kids to go out. It was fun, but even if we could afford that regularly, we both agreed we'd rather not. Every now and then, yes, but we like spending lots of time as a family and we have plenty of alone time after the kids go to bed. Clara insisted I post this picture.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

sparking cider makes everything fancy.

Lisa said...

Look at all of those teeth Hazel is getting! I didn't have hair until I was 2 and people thought I was a boy too. She is going to have some beautiful hair when it comes in though!

angela hardison said...

carl bloch is pretty amazing. i want you to have that painting. also, i need to get to the temple before this baby comes... thanks for the reminder.