Thursday, December 22, 2011

The $50 Carnival

This year I decided to suck it up and do a friend party for Clara. It was a huge success and I realized I'm super great at planning and not super great at executing my plans. Instead, I delegate that part to and rely on everyone around me. All my friends and family better watch out. A few of my ideas were a major fail and I didn't get around to a lot of my ideas. I got really sick on Friday and just couldn't muster the energy that night after our softball games to do anything. Decorations were forgotten, signs didn't get hung, balloons weren't blown up and my mousse-caked hair dried before I even had a chance to comb it out, let alone curl it like I had planned. It was hot. Inconsistent with the perfectionist in me, I decided not to worry about the failures and just laugh it off. Worked like a charm and everything else turned out much grander than I imagined.

We invited 15 kids and every single one showed up. We had a hard time narrowing the guest list. Finally it came down to preschool, church and family friends that she has regular playdates with.

We borrowed a darling popcorn maker and awesome bouncer from our favorite neighbors.

Kathryn provided and made cotton candy (and the popcorn since one of my helpers wasn't able to come).

Karen helped run the bean bag toss (borrowed from Kathryn) and Dan did the bowling. Jason sat at the ball toss for a little bit, but after realizing that was possibly the worst idea of the day, we abandoned that one all together.

We served hot dogs and Veggie Sticks, making lunch for 19 kids and 10 adults only about $13.

I bought high quality face paint and enlisted my mom and Lilly to be our face painters. This, by the way, was the best idea. [Envision me patting myself on the back now.] I originally wanted to hire someone because the kids love it so much, but after I discovered it would cost me over $100, I decided against that. The paint was almost half of the total cost of the party, but totally worth it! Plus, we have lots and lots of leftovers.Angela took pictures at the little photo "booth". She also took pictures of everything else, so most of the ones posted are from her. I can't forget to mention she saved my failed attempt at making invitations a few weeks prior. (Happy Birthday Angela!)
I wanted the party to be fun, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. I did as much as I could with what I had and borrowed when possible (and not just things, I borrowed people's time too). I am so grateful people are willing to help and share their stuff and talents. I found humor in the fact that this party cost me about the same, if not less, as Clara's last year "simple" family get together. Of course that wouldn't have been possible without friends and family that helped and let us borrow stuff and donated stuff.

Clara had fun, her friends had fun and she spent the entire afternoon enjoying the gifts people spoiled her with. What a great day.

8 comments:

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

What a fun party. I think you have better party planning skills than I do. I had all these great plans for Melanie and Noelle's party, but did exactly none of them. I even had party games... do you remember playing them? nope! In my defense, I was pretty exhausted. I have now one party 9 months pregnant and one 2 weeks post pardon... I'll have to try to plan better in the future.

If you ever need balloons, we have the tank to fill them.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

WOW! You should go into party planning or something. That's awesome!!

David and Jana said...

That is such a cute idea!!! It looks like it was so much fun. Good for you for laughing it off!

Ashley Harris said...

Fun!! I am super impressed! I can't manage to throw a party for under $200 and my parties are not nearly as amazing as your party. I can't believe Clara is 5!

Beka said...

it was a great party- way to go anna:)

cant believe you didnt post the awesome pic of little O- i wont tell him:)
merry christmas!!!

Lindsay said...

Looks like a fun party idea and way to keep it cheap! I know I wouldn't be able to... BTW, I finally posted on my blog about our baby so go take a look. :)

Jamie Wilkinson said...

What an amazing party! I'm totally enlisting your help in planning Lily's next party. I'm not nearly so creative.

angela hardison said...

you really spent only $50? that's impressive. it was a fun little party.