Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My {birth}Day

Getting older doesn't really bother me. 30 is a year older than 29 just like 29 is a year older than 28. We started celebrating my birthday a night early when Jason invited friends and family over for a little surprise party. When I opened the door, everyone was on the porch with a sign and balloons. Surprise! I was surprised. Normally I check the peephole. Not this time.
"I love parties! I also love pink sparkly princess hats and photoshopping pictures of me since I have nothing better to do with my time!"

Then came Saturday, my actual birthday. We went from one thing to the next. All day. It was good, but exhausting.

Wake up (very important)
Make breakfast
Shun the Sun race with Clara
Watch Clara, Lucy and Elsa eat cookies, frosting and sprinkles for breakfast
"These people don't care how many sprinkles we put on our cookies. Yay!! The more sugar we eat, the faster we'll run!"

Run race with Clara, Kathryn and her girls.
"Mmmm, that leftover frosting and on my mouth is just what I need to keep running!"

Face painting & bouncies (I think we'll definitely do this next year - the race was not long {thank goodness!} and the after party was super fun)
"Cheeez that sun is bright. But we are butterflies! I'm a tiger! With rainbow pants! Rar!"

Angela's for camera
Home to shower and change
Feed Hazel
Visit Jason's dad in hospital (he had a little heart scare earlier this week that ended with him being flown the Arizona Heart Hospital for an outpatient procedure - he's okay and we're all happy about that).
"Hello! I'm alive!"
Mason's birthday party
"Boing, boing, boing"

Dinner at Liberty Market
"I love Liberty Market! I'm so glad to be here!"

Home to change
Head to friend's reception and take some pictures
Home at last - after 10pm
Pass out on bed without washing face or brushing teeth

I had great plans of posting about what a great birthday I had. I promise it was a good day. It was busy and I thought that staying busy kept me from thinking of all the things you wish for on your birthday. Let's be honest, whether you are 3 or 30, everyone wants to feel special on their birthday. But really all I did was postpone my over thinking and pity party for a day. Sunday wasn't busy and I had a little meltdown when no one was around. I think sometimes I let myself pretend I'm a better person than I really am. I try to talk myself into thinking I am the kind of person I wish I was. The person that doesn't let little things bother them. The kind of person that everyone loves. The kind of person that doesn't feel sad or hurt because they only think positive thoughts. The kind of person that is happy despite their circumstances. Eventually, the truth comes out. And on top of having all the emotions I previously blocked come flooding in, I also felt like a bit of a failure for not being who I wish I was. Double fail. Apparently perfection doesn't happen in 30 years. Darn.

10 comments:

Rachel+Co said...

blarg! (yes i swear in my own, piratey language). i forgot to call you on your birthday. sorry! it looks like a fun, full busy day. i'll call you today or tomorrow to chat. it was so fun to have you here.

angela hardison said...

thanks for not mentioning that i forgot your birthday.
(looks like i'm not the only one^, which makes it even worse).

i love you. let me take you to lunch later this week?!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Wow, I a loser. I'm sorry. Happy birthday!!!

that Shun the Sun race is a lot of fun. I'm glad you gals got to do it. I did it last year and will definitely be doing it next year. I had actually contemplated doing the 5K this year to see if perhaps it would throw me into labor. I ended up running, pushing a double stroller, around my neighborhood that night and it didn't work, so I suppose it wouldn't have worked that morning either...

I hope Jason's dad is doing better... And I hope you are realizing how great you are today, because you ARE. {Perfection may not happen in 30 years, but you are still someone I look up to}

Happy Birthday!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Fake it till ya make it Anna. You're freakin' awesome just the way you are.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! Welcome to the 30 club. Glad you are okay with it. I am not. I feel all 30 of those years (especially in my back right now) ;)

Beka said...

you look super hot in the last pic but even hotter in the first:)

i love liberty market too AND all your captions in this post:)

the race sounded fun- i wanna take my boys next year

and stop feeling sorry for yourself...i do it all the time and just makes it worse- if you were that awful I wouldn't like hanging out with you anymore (then you would be sorry!!) :)

you are one of the coolest, most thoughtful, frugal-minded, fun-loving, chatty, beautiful and one of my fav people in the whole world:)

Brenden+Nikki said...

You are way to hard on yourself! I admire the kind of person you are all the time.

Jen said...

ok, why are you not on Facebook so i know it's your birthday.

You are amazing, and now you are 30- wow and still so sexy!

Aunt Bec said...

It sounds like you and I have similar ideas of who we want to be, and even more similar ideas of how we deal with it. That is my favorite time to breakdown, when no one is around. It makes me feel better when I yell at myself and no one else can hear me.

BUT...

I think you are pretty great! You have been an answer to my prayers quite a few times in the last few months. Don't forget all of the good things you do, and the wonderful person you are. (There is a Hilary Weeks song about that too...All the Good, sorry there isn't a youtube video to direct you to, but you can listen to it on my blog, it is about half way down on the player) Hope that you have some sweet reminders of just how great you are today!

Lisa said...

Happy Belated Birthday Anna! Just as you enter the 30's club... I am on my way out! haha!