Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Do Your Best

As I was sitting in Church, I observed two families. One with lots of kids all sitting reverently, the other wrestling their rambunctious kids. The thought came to me that each of the families was doing their best and that's all that matters. One "best" had a different result than the other "best" and it dawned on me that doing our best isn't about the end result, it's about our effort. I couldn't think of a better theme for the new school year, even though we're still just in preschool. Always trying your hardest and never giving up seem pretty important when it comes to education, no matter her age. It doesn't matter if she does her work better than everyone, has the most friends or can run the fastest. What matters is that she always does her best, gives her best effort and tries her hardest. Making this a habit now will help her later on as her education progresses. It's also a good reminder for me. As a rather critical person and a perfectionist, I need a constant reminder to focus on and acknowledge and praise the effort not the outcome. Doing our best is far more important than being the best.

We decided to have a little celebration before my anti-committal self is totally committed. (At this point, 3 days a week feels totally committed.) I actually think this is one tradition that I think I can manage continuing. Clara requested pizza (cheese and pesto) and a cake. I added a salad for nutrition and root beer for fun. We never have soda in our house (Izze and Martinelli's don't qualify as soda, right?) so Clara thought it was the coolest thing. Dan and Karen celebrated with us. Good thing because Clara would have been pretty bored with just Jason, Hazel and me.
After dinner, we had a quick FHE lesson on doing our best. Clara got her first "back to school" Father's blessing. My dad did that every year and I don't think I fully appreciated that special blessing at the time. It really did make a difference in each school year.

Then it was time for the cake. When I say cake, I mean THE cake.
I've been wanting to make a layered cake for a long time. But that's a really awful thing for a lazy person to want to do. I decided I'd give it a shot for our special celebration. It turned out lovely! It was not as much work as I expected. Not bad at all. I am not a frosting person so I didn't put much in between the layers, but still looked pretty. It didn't have the best taste (it was okay, just not the best) but I was so fascinated by my Rainbow Brite creation, I didn't mind. Plus, now we have all met our Red Dye 40 quota for the next year with all the food coloring consumed in just one piece.

Today was Clara's first day of school. The last few months I have been so glad I signed her up for preschool. Then last night, I started having a little panic attack. Leaving her at a stranger's house for 2 and a half hours suddenly sounded like a really horrible thing. Who came up with that idea anyway? If you really think about school, it's a little bit crazy. Just take your kids somewhere and leave them with people you've met once or twice with a bunch of other kids you've never met. Obviously I think about things too much, obviously she'll be safe and obviously this is an important step for both of us as we prepare for Kindergarten next year. I am glad she's in preschool, but still. It's hard for me to watch her grow up.
As Jason was leaving for work, he asked me what I was doing today. Pretty much my only goal was to get Clara to school on time. Success. And I even managed to make bacon (I cooked it in the oven... why haven't I been doing this for the last ten years??), eggs and toast too. When I dropped Clara off, she didn't say bye or give me a hug. She just got lost in the shuffle of the other kids and obediently went to the classroom. That's Clara. I know she loves me, but we have no attachment issues with her, that's for sure.

She had so much fun and had a huge smile on her face when I picked her up. Her favorite thing she did was eat snacks. She met three new friends: Courtney, Annie and Bobbi. She learned that "if there is anything in your nose that bothers you, you can use a tissue to get it out, then just wash your hands".

It's gonna be a fun year.

13 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

SUCH a cutie. Your front door picture is so great. Oh man do I want some of that cake!

Jen said...

Way awesome cake!

Brenden+Nikki said...

Ha ha with it being back to school time I'm reading all my friend's blogs about sending their kids off to school and I LITERALLY get choked up every time just thinking about it. In fact, I told Brenden today that I don't want Collin to go to school after seeing a little girl standing at the bus stop all by herself. Ha ha I'm a horrible mother. It's just that I can't stand the thought of him being hurt or being bullied or discouraged without me being there to encourage him. And the thought of everything I'm going to miss!? Like the look on his face when he gets a question right!? It's too much for me to bear. Good thing he's only 2. Maybe I'll be more ready in a couple years.

Lisa said...

I love that cake! I am so glad Clara loves school, I knew she would. =)

Ashley Harris said...

I was a 'teacher' at the twins preschool for the 2 years that they attended and knew their teacher from when I grew up in the same ward as her so preschool wasn't weird for me. But when I had to put my twins on a bus and just trust that they were going to be ok it was a bit stressful.

Will their teachers notice if they are sad or frustrated? Who will calm them down if they get hurt? What if they get picked on? What if no one sits next to them during lunch? What if the bus gets in an accident? and on and on and on ...

Love that cake!! Love your celebration! I like that you included soda - we don't drink soda around here either so it's always a REALLY big deal!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Clara looks so cute in those first day of school pictures! :) Good job, Clara, on making new friends on the first day! That is sometimes really hard to do. :)

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

P.S., I love the cake! Ironically, I had planned to make a rainbow cake on Sunday to celebrate the first day of school. I haven't yet, but if you see pictures of one on my blog, feel free to smile and think "she's copying me!" ha ha!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I love your thoughts, and your awesome cake. And I completely understand about your panic attack. That's how I felt the first time I had to leave Lily at daycare.

holly & anthony said...

Your cake turned out so good! It is awesome! Thank you for letting me come over and chill with you and your two sweet girls. It was nice to visit and thank you for your help! I will have to come visit again soon!

sheri rog said...

she is just sooooo darn cute! and so are you! what a wonderful & fun mommy you are! loved this post on doing your best! thank you! and thank you for commenting on my blog. it's nice to hear from you! wouldn't lunch be fun??

JLynn said...

loved your thoughts in the 1st paragraph. Perfectly said. I completely agree, I think a lot of parents stress on the outcome instead of praising a child's efforts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Way to go on making a special dinner and theme. I'm bad about jumping on the band wagon with LDS culture traditions. Maybe it's not just LDS families, maybe all families make a big deal about going back to school with dinners?. Poor Cache. He will not be getting a special dinner, backpack, clothes or blessing for pre-school. Oh, we are such awful parents! :) I think making things special for kids makes them feel special and I'm sure Clara knows just how special she is. I don't think it's the extras that make kids feel special (although they definitely help!) it's the attention and love!!

angela hardison said...

i'm pretty impressed with how that cake turned out. did rachel tell you she made one for lucas' birthday? supposedly it fell apart a little bit and when he saw it he excitedly proclaimed, "oh cool! a CRASH rainbow cake." or something like that. haha

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Another thing I've realized after becoming a parent is that even seemingly perfect parents with perfect kids would have a different outcome with different kids. Sure, those parents who had the reverent kids are probably doing a lot right in the way of nurture, but they probably also have kids more naturally disposed to reverence and quiet. But yes, it's important to not compare our best to others' best.