Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 2 + Babbling

We cut it kind of close getting to preschool on time the first day. Being the responsible/organized/on time parent I am, we left a few minutes earlier on day 2. Roughly 5 minutes after we left, as I was gloating over my awesome self, I realized Clara's back pack never made it in the car. I totally forgot it even existed. I turned around, rushed home and rushed back to preschool. I think we were about 1 minute late. I considered that an accomplishment since having to turn around and go back cost us about 10 minutes. I brushed it off, headed home and looked forward to a repeat of Tuesday.

Tuesday was a dream. I switched Hazel to 4 feedings a day, hoping to sync her schedule a little better with preschool. I remember reading that babies don't necessarily get less to eat if you feed them a fewer number of times. After 3 days of testing this theory, I believe it since the number of minutes she spends eating is much greater than before. Anyway, on Tuesday she napped for 2 hours in the morning (so I got a ton of stuff done!), I fed her, we picked Clara up, ran some errands (i.e. visit Mom and take advantage of $1 tacos at Fil's), put Hazel down for her afternoon nap, which lasted a good two hours and then was surprised, but happy, that Hazel was so manageable those last 4 hours. Back to Wednesday. I expected a repeat of Tuesday. Wednesday was worse. Much worse. Hazel woke up an hour after I laid her down with a poopy diaper and wouldn't go back to sleep. Finally I cued in and realized she was not feeling good. I flipped up her top lip and behold, here come the K-9's. Her poor little "I" teeth looked miserable. Sad baby.

Because teething only bothered Clara at night, I gave her medicine so she'd sleep. Because I'm not always super intelligent, I didn't think to give Hazel something with the pain so she was happy during the day. Then Wednesday happened. She fell asleep in the car and would not go back to sleep for her nap. She finally went to sleep and after just over an hour, I had to wake her up to feed her so I could take Clara to her music class. I waited too long to wake her up, wanting her to get every possible minute of sleep, and then she took longer to eat than I am used to. This all added up to me being 10 minutes late to our first day of our 45 minute music class. It made me feel pretty bad. After I picked Hazel up from my mom's, she kept crying and crying at home. She was not happy no matter what. I gave her some Motrin and put her to bed at 6pm (I did wake her up around 7am to feed her one last time). She slept until 7:20am, thank goodness. Thursday I noticed that one of the teeth broke through (#5). She was much happier having one less tooth to push through her little gums. Phew. Morning nap was just over an hour, thwarted yet again by a poopy diaper and her afternoon nap was barely over and hour and a half. But I could tell she felt much better. Hopefully by next week things will go a little smoother.

Clara loves preschool, which is no different than last year. But this year she gets 3 days and 17 other kids in her class. She is silly and social but lately I've really started to see her little "class clown" personality come out a lot more. She loves to entertain and make other people laugh, especially kids. Every day she'd come home and tell me a few more friends she met. I wish I could see how she acts, treats others and interacts with everyone when I'm not around. It's been fun, but this week was tiring for Clara and I know it was an adjustment for her. By Thursday afternoon, I could tell she was just exhausted. She was grouchy and we had already invited her friend over to play, otherwise she definitely would have taken a nap. I am sure it will get easier, but at this point, I am happy we decided just to stick with school and her music class. I considered putting her in a dance class, but for now, two things is enough.

3 comments:

Beka said...

enjoy the NO attachment issues....jealous

and also so sad i didn't get to try any of that AWESOME cake!!!

thx for hanging out today- sorry my boys are out of control:)

Kathryn said...

Hey, Leta and Hazel are cutting their K9s at the same time. How sweet.

I feel like we have been teething for the last 2 years (and the 2 years before that too).

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I don't remember ever having warning that Lily was cutting a tooth. She didn't get fussy or drool or anything an done day I would see a little tooth poking through. Guess I missed out on all the fun ;)

You are one busy mama. I dread the day I actually have to leave the house at a regular time daily. I anticipate much more trouble than you've had.