Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow

It’s been a while since I have had a garden. My first garden died. I was working full time and stopped watering the poor thing. I had a few successes in my square foot garden after that, but more fails. I just never stuck with the daily watering. Our new yard has endless possibilities for the giant garden I’ve always dreamed of, but it’s going to take time, money and hard work to set it up. Plus, we'll have to be strategic with the location because of the irrigation. In the interim, we took out some of our rose bushes (we probably had about 15, so plenty to spare) and called it our garden spot. The soil was good, but best of all, the drip system was already in, requiring minimal modifications to have an auto-watered garden. Even with that, I wasn’t expecting much. I used seeds I had from two years ago and I started them late. After having good luck with them sprouting quickly, I waited too long to get them into the ground, so not only was their growth stunted but I am pretty sure I traumatized them when I finally transplanted them into the garden. Even after all that, I am still happy with the success we've had.
{Top: corn, curly cue on melon vine (that's almost better than the fruit!), melon, zucchini
Bottom: roma tomato, butterhead lettuce, another curly cue, bell peppers}
{Deformed radish, yellow squash and zucchini}

Summary of results (boring, but I want to remember for next year):

Corn (seed) – at least a few ears between 8 stalks, growing well, but not consistent between stalks
Sweet 100’s (plant from Costco) – almost died after transplant, but has revived nicely, we get 4-5 tomatoes every 5-6 days that Clara and I normally eat right away
Romas (little plant from Wal Mart) – this plant has grown like crazy and is probably the biggest surprise, lots of fruit on the bush waiting to turn red
Bell peppers (seeds) – I don’t think any of these made it
Bell peppers (tiny plant from Wal Mart) – growing well; mini bell peppers are cute, 2 well established peppers, hopefully more will come
Butterhead lettuce (seed) – growing nicely
Spinach (seed) – the one surviving plant is mostly dead
Romaine (seed) – growing okay, but not as good as in my square foot garden
Melons (seed) – nice plant, but only teeny tiny little melons (I love the curly cues on the melon vine - see photos above)
Watermelons (seed) – tiny plant, no hopes of anything growing on it
Radishes (seed) – one giant, disfigured one that was inedible
Beets (seed) – not so great, but we'll see
Turnips (seed) – not so great, but we'll see (I think my root vegetables suffered the most from being stuck in my seed starters too long)
Basil (plant from Lowe’s) – yay! first basil plant I haven’t killed in my life!; thriving and I use it a few times a week
Strawberries (plant from Wal Mart) – we’ve gotten about a dozen strawberries; planted more for fun than anything
Jalapenos (seed) – tiny plants, no reason to believe I will get anything from them since they still haven't even flowered
Yellow Squash (seed) – got one nice sized squash early on and not a single one is in the works despite the plants being big, so who knows what’s going on
Zucchini (seed) – doesn’t grow for a while then doubles in size, it’s weird; first zucchini was giant, a few more, smaller are coming along as well

I love gardening. I love watching them grow, picking and eating the fruits of our labor and pondering how so many lessons can be learned from the act of gardening.

7 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

I don't know if this means ANYTHING AT ALL (because you know my garden was far from admirable) but my melons did not seem to come out until much later in the summer, at least later than everything else. It grew and grew, looked healthy and sent vines everrrrrywhere, but no fruit until later. ?? Maybe there's hope for you yet!

angela hardison said...

let me know when it's planting time again. my yard is desolate, and it needs a garden!

Jen said...

LOVE all your documenting!

Lindsay said...

Yay!! I'm so happy to see this! Looks like things are growing nicely. The melons will take awhile to mature. Roma tomatoes seem to take forever to ripen on the vine as well. Cherry tomatoes are zucchini easily are our fastest and best producers. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

DeWitts said...

I'm so excited i planted a garden with my mom this year and everything looks great. i just hope the rabbits stay out of it.

Tiffany Haynes said...

Wow! So impressive! I would love to have a garden! Besides the fact that I am so intimidated by gardening our little 3 ft deep back yard just doesn't have the space to allow for a garden. I am wanting to try some plants just in planters but I have no idea where to start.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I haven't had a garden since we left California. I get really sad about it when I remember that. But we have a cute little yard at our new place, so I have high hopes to get back into it. Nothing is better than picking dinner out of your own backyard. Or drying your own herbs or creating your own essential oils and soaps. I'm jealous.