Thursday, May 5, 2011

Little Helper

I think teaching children strong work ethic is really important. Clara’s jobs around the house are the dishwasher (I do all the stuff she can’t reach), empty the garbages around the house (obviously not the kitchen one), clean her room and help me as needed. Mostly, she's a pretty awesome helper.

This morning we had the following conversation:

C: Why do I have to do jobs?
M: Because you get to live in our house and we all work together to clean up and keep our house in order.
C: I don’t want to live here anymore. I want to go live with someone else.

A few minutes later she did the dishwasher without complaint and volunteered to wash the big dishes. I'm glad she likes to help me, despite what she says. I even love it despite the fact that this picture shows my Bosch lid after she washed it.

8 comments:

Tiffany Haynes said...

Totally agree about having young ones help around the house. I was just starting to think about giving Nolan some chores to do.

Love the girls' bedrooms. Especially the color of Hazel's room.

Deb said...

Oh, teaching work ethic is so fun isn't it? Adelaide is my awesome helper who LOVES to clean, organize, do chores, etc. And Smith will do it, but since he knows Adelaide actually likes it, he often asks her to do it for him. When I tell him "no you have to do it", he always says, "but Adelaide wants to, she offered." Which she also offers to do his chores and clean his room for him all the time. I'm wondering how long this will last with her.

I really liked your daily grind post. YOu are such a good mommy.

Brenden+Nikki said...

Buahahaha she never ceases to make me laugh!

That's why I let Collin do all the housework he wants. He loves copying us and actually gets mad if I don't let him mop the floor. So I let him because one day he won't want to do it anymore. It's especially fun watching him try to mop the carpet.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Wow, that's good. Lily just picks up her toys and cleans her room (and by clean her room, I mean sitting on her bed looking at the mess for thirty minutes before coming out and telling me she too little...rinse and repeat until I finally get her to put things away). I'm jealous that you have a bosch.

Melanie said...

She can come live at our house and see what the jobs entail... she might come screaming back. =)

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

That's hilarious ("I don't want to live here anymore") ha ha! I put my girls to work too, i think not only does it teach them a strong work ethic, it makes them feel important and needed in the house.

I LOVE Clara's quilt. Gorgious. Both of their rooms are super cute! My idea of decorating lately is to just display the things that they have made in their rooms. So, my kids rooms definitely look like kids rooms. ha ha!

angela hardison said...

she can come live with me. i ignore my chores and play instead.

Rachel+Co said...

hahahahaha! that girl kills me. she is hilarious. my kids are great workers, for the most part. we had a similar conversation with lucas involving me asking if he wanted to go live outside like a wild animal and his saying yes. dangit, that one backfired on us.