Monday, April 25, 2011

Fun in Utah

On the 13th, Clara, Hazel and I drove to Utah and spent a week with Rachel and her family. I wanted to help entertain her kids the last few days of their Spring Break while she was busy working. Turns out they didn't really need me to help them have fun, but we had a good time hanging out nonetheless.The drive up was great, maybe I'll post the statistics of it later. Jason didn't think I could feed Hazel a bottle while I drove. So I took a picture of it to prove it. What? Can't you steer with your knee?
Seeing Daniel and Steven. Cute kids. I just wanted to squeeze them. It's amazing how hard work can transform people.
If anyone can make me laugh like Clara, it's Lucas.Playing in snow and water in American Fork Canyon. According to Emma, the water (aka melted snow) was "kinda warm."
I think it's safe to say that Steven likes babies and kids more than any other Uncle. I wish he still lived closer.
Micah couldn't get enough of Hazel either.
I got to see some high school friends. We met at Chick-fil-a for a classy dinner. We figured if the kids had somewhere to play, we could visit longer. Molly, Rob and Heather's little girl, is just a month older than Hazel. I wanted a picture of the two of them, but neither of them would look at the camera. Or anywhere else but the other's face. Maybe they remember each other from another place they so recently left.
I got to visit Jen and her family. It's the first time I've seen her home since she moved away from Arizona years ago. She made us lunch and we got to visit for several hours.
Look closely. The blanket is taped shut. Per Lucas, "he taped her blanket closed." To Hazel: this is what life would be like every day if Clara had been a boy.
Kiri and her kids drove down from Layton so we could go see the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU. Other than the fact that Rachel ended up chauffeuring us to and from BYU and that Clara had a meltdown in the exhibit, it was pretty incredible.
The important part of this picture isn't just two silly kids. It's also so I can remember how delicious the lettuce wraps were that Rachel made.
Clara loves worms. Who knew. She caught several, but this one was by far the biggest, nastiest one of them all.
Steven came to visit and hang out the night before we left.
I love this kid.
Daniel couldn't come the night before we left, but came the morning we left.
It was such a nice week. Rachel cooked good food, I got to visit with a few friends, I had lots of little helpers to entertain and watch Hazel (having a 12 year old girl around is really quite handy) and Clara had a constant friend or two or four at any given time. We are already looking forward to going back in the summer.

6 comments:

Jen said...

ok seriously the soccer game pic. Those mtns in the distance and the green grass. HEAVEN!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

looks like an eventful trip!!! That worm... gross!!!! seriously! Clara is one silly girl! I love the travel pictures. I wish I were that creative.

JLynn said...

Sweet- It was so great to see you, can't wait to see you again this summer. ;) THanks for tolerating my bland meal.... I know you and your sister are better cooks than I could ever be, I'm just thankful I finally got to serve you a nice meal after all these years of you serving me! You're the best always. Enjoy that warm weather for me. I'm back in the 40's with rain, wind and snow. Oh Utah.

Rachel+Co said...

we miss you! and don't think we eat that good all the time. we've had bean burritos twice since you've left. it was so fun to have you here!

angela hardison said...

you're right. i should have gone.

talk to you tomorrow and hopefully i can do the favor for you. but remember: i'm letterpressing hazel's announcements all day thursday for you, so don't ask for too much. (just kidding).

Jamie Wilkinson said...

That blanket is awesome! So is Clara's worm. Looks like you had a great time.