Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Girlies

Hazel is four months old today. I often wonder where the time went, which usually leaves me feeling a little sad and wishing I could turn around and grab some of that time back. So I don't get too sad, I try to stop wondering and instead reflect on the fun we've had and the fun we'll have. Hazel has been able to roll from her tummy to her back for a few months. On Sunday she rolled from her back to her stomach. Well, almost. Her little arm always gets in the way, but she doesn't mind. She just arches her back and flops her head over and lays on her arm. I think (keyword: think) this is a little earlier than Clara rolled that way, which surprises me. I thought Hazel's chub would delay her movement a bit. Hazel has also become extremely interested in her surroundings in the last few weeks. She has a hard time eating when there is something else going on and hates it when I hold her facing me. When I do, she uses all her energy to turn and look over her shoulder. I think she weighs about 14 pounds, which is about what Clara weighed at 6 months (if I remember correctly). No one makes her giggle more than Jason, but anyone can make her smile. She has big ole' bright eyes. People like to comment about them, but no one has made me feel more awkward when delivering a comment about my children than a man in the grocery store yesterday. He said, "Look at those beautiful blue eyes. I have always wished I could have a blue-eyed baby." Something about the way he said it made me at a total loss of words.

I still get butterflies of happiness/love when I check on Hazel (and Clara) every night. Seeing them peacefully asleep warms me through. I want to kiss their soft cheeks or gently touch their soft skin. Most nights I resist. Hazel slept okay in Utah, but woke up around 6am, sometimes closer to 5am. She usually wouldn't go back to sleep, wouldn't take her pacifier and wouldn't stop crying. I think part of it was because she was sick. But since Clara was asleep in the same room (I was surprised at how well Clara slept through the crying considering they don't share a room) and Rachel's whole family was asleep in the rest of the house, I usually just fed her. We are still working on getting Hazel out of this habit of waking up before seven or eight. I'm hoping tonight is the night. I've missed my uninterrupted sleep.

Speaking of sleep. Utah wasn't bad for both girls' sleeping habits. Clara has been having quite the time going a night without waking up. Usually because of a bad dream. Pretty much every night for the last several months (8-9?) she would wake up crying. If we were up, we'd settle her down in her room. If we were asleep, she would often stowaway into our bed until we woke up and escorted her back to her bed. Some nights, we didn't even realize it until morning. Anyway, in Utah, Clara only woke up once. Now we've been home for almost a week and she's only done it once. I am guessing she just grew out of that phase. Or perhaps Utah cured her. Either way, hip, hip hooray.

And speaking of Clara... She is constantly growing and learning about life. Yesterday we were in Superstition Ranch Market and she was "directing traffic". One of the ladies laughed and was telling another lady what was going on. Clara turned to me and asked, "Are they making fun of me?" Poor girl thought laughing about something and making fun of someone were synonymous. I explained they just thought she was silly and she said she didn't want them to make fun of her. She acts more like an adult every day. Jason likes to tease me by calling her AJ or Mom Jr. Little does he know she picks up plenty from him too. Also, I tell him it's a good thing he likes me so when our kids act like me, he has nothing to complain about. ;) I love her sweet little face and her excitement about life. She gets so excited about the simplest things (like getting Peeps for Easter). She is very unselfish and loves to share with others. Karen gave her a little bag of candy for Easter so Clara went and got one of her big eggs (she only had two) to give to Karen. She's very social and loves to play with friends. She loves going to my mom's and adores playing with Lily. She is a big helper and is learning how to keep her room clean. She loves doing her jobs: emptying the garbages, emptying the dishwasher (except the glass stuff) and doing little jobs I give her. She got her own little gardening tools for Easter and they make her feel important and now she likes weeding the garden with me. Thanks to a little personal inspiration, I've been able to be much more patient with Clara. When I'm tempted to react to her behavior, I know a deep breath will buy just enough time to receive a little guidance on the best way to respond to her.

I love having two perfectly beautiful girls. When it comes to children, I wouldn't have picked anything else. I can't fathom how it could be better than this.

12 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

That whole post was just special, and beautiful, and perfect. How very blessed we are!

Having said that, I've always wished I could have a blue-eyed baby, too.
**gruff voice** Heh, heh, heh.

Jen said...

Such a sweet post:)

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Perfect . . . all of you!

Kami Milliron said...

I can say that I feel the exact same way about my boys. I love having them both sit in my lap and cuddle. It makes the hard days worth it. I cannot believe how blessed we ( I say WE as in all Mothers ) are to have such precious children of God !

Oh and I swear Clara and Douglas are related somehow ! They are so similar : )

DeWitts said...

What a cut pic of you with your girls.

angela hardison said...

i love them both, a lot. excited to babysit.

Brenden+Nikki said...

So sweet Anna! (And see .....you DO post awesome posts like this all the time!). I love reading about the girls. It sounds like you have another mover on your hands! :) She must know she has to get started now to keep up with Clara!

P.S. You will never see a video of me doing the Hokey Pokey ha ha. The thought of seeing my enormous post baby hips swinging around makes me shudder haha.

Unknown said...

You do have beautiful girls! I love that pic of the three of you too! Here is the link to the necklace I made Bryn:) http://pretty-ditty.blogspot.com/2009/10/beaded-fabric-flower-necklace-tutorial.html

Rhiannon said...

I feel the same way when I look at Jersey, where did the time go? I say cherish the memories of them being little and try not to worry that you didn't get more time. At least that is how I feel.
Your girls are really beautiful.

Ashley Harris said...

I cannot get over how beautiful that picture is!

Glad that Clara is sleeping better at night - that's rough having to wake to take care of a newborn and a 4 year old. And Utah sounds like a blast!

Deb said...

What a sweet post.

I always feel so happy when I get an entire night of uninterupted sleep. It's so rare and feels so good!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

You're kids are pretty dang adorable, I must say.

Lily has a big problem discerning the difference between laughing in a good way and when people are making fun of her. Glad she's not the only one.