The more people offer to help once this baby is born, the more I worry that I am missing something. Is having a newborn harder than I remember?
With Clara, it was a breeze. Seriously. I got way more sleep than I did before she was born, I didn't have to wake up to an alarm clock each morning and get to work by a certain time, lots of people brought us food, my mom was my own personal maid for a week or more and my recovery was great. Having to adjust my routine for only one kid was a cinch. It wasn't like I took naps either. I know #2 will be a little trickier since I have the added dynamic of having Clara, but is it going to be that much harder?
I might be in denial, but my conclusion is this: for me, it all comes down to the role my excitement plays. It kind of overshadows all the dreaded parts of newborns. With Clara, I was so excited to be a mom. I was so excited not to be working. I was so excited to have my very own baby. I was so excited to start that phase of my life. With this one, I waited and wanted for a long time. Now that I am getting my wish, I am equally excited. I guess thoughts of the inevitable lack of sleep, the recovery, the diapering, the nursing, etc. is lost amongst that excitement, yet again.
For those of you wondering... my body hasn't changed a bit since last week. Shucks.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
There is a similar space between Ev & Cora and it wasn't that bad. Truthfully I'm so happy not to be pregnant that I'm almost euphoric during the newborn stage! It's the third trimester sends me over the edge:) You saw my blog... you know.
I think it just depends on you and your kids' temperaments and age differences. Alethia B. told me that 2 felt easy whereas 3 was really hard for her. I felt like 2 was a HARD transition from 1. But I had a c-section, a child under 2 that I couldn't pick up for 6 weeks, and postpartum depression (which I didn't have with my first...) My nerves were on edge all the time, and my 2nd was not even a difficult child. It didn't help matters that Dean felt very threatened by a new baby and still asks (18 mo. later) if we can send Walt away to Grandma's.
Nope, a newborn is a newborn. They come with the same joys and challenges. It's the fact that you're having your second one, that's why people are wanting to help
More. It's not that it's harder, you just do t get the same amount of rest as you did with the first. I was much more tired with Josh than I was with Douglas. Are you coming to Bunco tomorrow : )
I thought it was WAY EASIER adjusting to two than it was to adjust to one. It is always nice to have help though...
I totally agree with ya! I never dreaded the newborn thing and because of that I think I had a wonderful experience with Collin. Even the lack of sleep didn't bother me because I was so happy to just have him in my arms. And I think it's all in your attitude...if you are laid back and just go with the flow - what could possibly stress you out? That's my outlook on how I'm going to handle things. I'm just not going to expect much of myself at first. I'll lay around in my pajamas and love my babies and not worry about the laundry and other things. It usually takes me about 8 weeks to REALLY feel like I have a routine down so that's what I'm going to expect. No more. And so when those days come where Collin is cranky and the new baby is cranky, then I'll just sit in my PJs and order pizza for dinner. What's the big deal? :). Collin can throw his fit on the floor while I watch him (when those days happen). He'll get over it eventually. Plus, Clara's older. I bet she'll be SO EXCITED to help out. I'm not worried about you one bit. I think you're going to do just fine. With that said though, if you DO need anything, I'll be available until mid-February :). P.S. I'm going to email you back right now.
My guess would be that you're just a great mom who can handle all the new adjustments... and it sounds like you have great babies too. :) Enjoy it.
No I don't think 2 kids (versus 1) are THAT scary. No biggie. Oh Anna, I can't wait to see another darling little girl of yours!!! Please invite me over.
I thought number 2 was way easier because I didn't have all that anxiety of being a first time mother. I was able to bring Adelaide home and just relax and enjoy her and not worry so much about doing everything "right."
But you never know what number two is going to be like until they come. My sister's number two was super colicky and cried for hours every day for a whole year. I don't want to sound like I'm being negetive. You just never know I guess until you are there. That's awesome that your first one went so well. Hopefully it will be the same thing all over again.
speak for yourself ;-). i'm glad you had such an easy time of it. for me, the 3 months after having a baby were an awful adjustment. every time. never got easier. but i also had screaming babies (i had casey anne in the middle of a semester of full-time school, remember emma getting a callous on her vocal chords from crying so much and spending a week in the hospital with her when she was 3 weeks old? lucas squirting blood from his rectum and all his skin sloughing off every time i wiped him?) and zero help from mr. coleman. seriously, ZERO help. i remember laying on the floor in the family room being too tired to even lift my head up.
exhaustion.
i am happy to have closed the chapter on that part of my life.
i think the adjustment depends a lot upon (1) the support you have at home, (2) the number of hours your baby sleeps at night, (3) the health of your baby, and (4) your own health, especially your emotional health.
on that cheery note, i am really hoping, completely selfishly, that you don't have your little one when i am there. i can't wait and i hope your recovery is just as easy as it was last time!
Lily was a breeze, too, but my sister had very cholicy babies, and it was difficult for her. So I guess it depends on the dynamics between the mommy and baby.
Casey had a hard time adjusting to Katelyn. She loved her-that wasn't a problem. It was hard for me to give her the attention she was used to and care for Kate at the same time. But I have decided (could be totally wrong) that each transition is hard as kids find their place in the family with each addition. So I just keep them close and make sure they feel loved and like they are a part of what's happening. You have a great attitude and are used to juggling a lot so you are going to be awesome! Good luck.
All I know is that right now I'm craving all that help that was offered this last go-around (and that I took) right about now. Can I just pretend they are newborns again?
I know O was a breeze compared to the twins....not that they were harder babies but that there was 2 of them:)- and i relaxed more the first 6 weeks instead of trying to get him on a rigid schedule and let him nap in a swing for months...it was nice- but he was a great newborn and slept long hours at night all the time...will just depend on your baby....i hope she's good for you ,but if she's not then take everyone up on their offers. It might not be the baby you will want help with---maybe its cleaning, and entertaining clara, groceries, dealing with 2 diff nap schedules...i think that was the hardest adjustment-the napping- cant just go wherever whenever when they get to a certain age-- babies need good naps!! i'm looking forward to you coming over all the time (haha)- we def need more playdates!!
Post a Comment