Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Skirt

If you're wondering why, despite the fact that I'm exhausted and it's nearing 1am, and I'm blogging instead of going to bed, read on. I am not a fan of maternity clothes, most particularly the "bottoms" (i.e. skirts, pants, etc.) It seems nothing fits me well. Ever. The bands are normally too tight, which squish my stomach out the top, and the bum/hip area is too big. Usually, I just deal with the discomfort. Rachel has a skirt from Old Navy that would be a perfect maternity skirt. It is stretchy fabric that would fit nicely under a belly and stick with it as it grows. Off I went to Old Navy to get my very own. I'll spare you the lame-accountant details of the story, but the bottom line is, I didn't buy it. So, I've been looking for a skirt like that since then, and had no luck. I have one pair of pants that are super comfy (and aren't even maternity), but no skirt or shorts. With Clara, this didn't really bother me because I didn't wear casual clothes very often. But now I do. And if you haven't noticed, summer has decided to hang around here extra long so I've been going crazy not having anything cool to wear that is super comfortable.

However, when I saw 5 yards 0f jersey knit heather gray fabric at Wal Mart tonight for $5 it instantly yelled to me, "Buy me and I can become the skirt you've been searching for!!" It is the perfect material, one of my favorite colors and $1/yard? Awesome. I bought it, did a little research for patterns online (no luck) and decided to wing it. I don't sew much, so this was a bit risky. Between a dress I have and my super comfy pants, I managed to create my skirt. Appearance wise, it's no Amy creation, but I am overly happy with the way it fits and how comfy it is. I'm so excited. Like really, really excited, that I have a casual, cool, comfy thing to wear until things cool off around here.

I made the waist band extra tall so I can pull it up around my belly or fold it down. I like it better folded in half, but here you can see the potential - full belly coverage.
And here's the whole thing. I didn't even have to hem it - see, perfect material.
Now you'll probably see me wear this as much as Clara wears the purple skirt I made for her... almost every day. :)

9 comments:

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

woo hoo. I'm excited for you because I HATE maternity clothes. so uncomfortable. So if you have an article you are comfy in, I say WEAR IT :o)

Kami Milliron said...

HOLY CUTE and you are so talented to be able to wing it and make something like that. Me = jealous ! You know, when I was pregnant with my 3 kids, I would go buy a lose fitting pear of the cheapest maternity pants I could find ( HA, Maternity pants cheap - do maternity and cheap even work in the same sentence ? ) and I would make it into a skirt. It's really easy to do. They have instructions online.

I am with you though, you HAVE to have a comfy pair of lounge pants AND skirt when you're preggo.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Love it! Good job.

Brenden+Nikki said...

I am spool with you on that! With Collin I gained 51 pounds of water weight. By this point in my pregnancy I was fitting into these maternity jeans someone gave me. This time around? My belly still hasn't grown into the excess skin that collin left behind so midtummy elastic pushes mine right out of the top too and the other pants I used to love are totally baggy around the bum area. Always amazes me that yes, my butt really did get that big!

You inspire me. Maybe I'll be brave and try a skirt too. Right now I'm still trying to use a hair tie around my pants buttons. Until then I'm taking out my creative experiments on Collin. He doesn't mind if the stuffing make him isn't perfect.

JLynn said...

too bad I'm not there. I would give you my maternity clothes to wear throughout your pregnancy. Kindy let me borrow a bunch of hers when I was pregnant with Casen, so I didn't have to buy anything prego with him. I have some stretchy maxi skirts from old navy, but I bought them on clearance. Their skirts are expensive full price to me. Forget old navy though, You are way talented to sew that skirt. It looks perfect around your belly. you did a really good job. I'm glad you have something cute and comfy.

Amy from Our Dish said...

Nice work!!! Seriously! I always wanted something like that when I was preggo and never had the guts to try it. You should make 5 more in different colors :)

Jen said...

You can make clothes fro me on my next pregnancy :)

Rachel+Co said...

look at that cute belly. and i'll take one of those skirts too. looks just right! way to go anna.

sheri rog said...

cute skirt, cute belly, and cute little baby growing inside of you, i'm sure.