Monday, August 16, 2010

The Worst Part

The worst part about finishing a good book*, no matter how good the story and ending, is that it's finished. All done. Over. No more quick and easy escape from reality. No more story to get lost in. Which means I have to use more energy to divert my thoughts away from parts of my reality that bring feelings quite opposite of an element of happiness others enjoy and books remind me of. Good thing I have Clara around to frequently interrupt these thoughts. Even the best book can't make me laugh as much as she does. Just in case you're a skeptic like I am, here's a little proof:

Last week we drove past a funeral. She asked me why all the cars were there and I told her it was for a funeral. She asked me if someone got married. I explained the difference between a funeral and a reception and a few hours later at my mom's I overheard her telling Lily we saw a reception because someone died. Someday she'll get the two straightened out.

Yesterday I was pulled out of Sunday School because Clara had a melt down in Primary (first time, thank goodness). By the time I go there, she was fine, but I pulled her aside to talk it over anyway. I asked her what was going on and she told me that her friends were being disobedient and so she was telling them to be obedient and got in trouble for talking. At least she is honest when she gets in trouble. If only she was more concerned with her obedience and not others...

Last night we were driving home from R&K's and she was looking at the Pottery Barn catalog she snatched from Kathryn. She announced, "I'm going to sing a song about making couches" and proceeded to sing a song about making couches, and chairs and tables and 800 pillows on the couch.

This morning she was coloring and I told her to make sure to keep her crayons away from the couch. Her little table is about 8 inches from the couch so when she turned around with a crayon in her hand, it brushed up against the couch. She felt bad instantly and told me she would clean it off with water. I told her water wouldn't get it off and really, I didn't know anything that would. Thinking quick she replied, "Did you know, sometimes princesses have magic soap that can get it off? I will go get some."
*I finally read Daughter of the Forest. I really enjoyed it, although there was one particular death that bothered me. Have you ever decided in a movie/book that if so-and-so dies, you won't like it regardless of everything else? I do it all the time and this time, one so-and-so did die. But I guess even fairy tales have to trigger different emotions, right?

10 comments:

bill said...

It's Clara's world. We're just walking through it.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I love the honesty. She is adorable.

Do you reccomend the book?

DeWitts said...

i LOVE clara! i hope one day her and cooper meet and fall in love.

Amy said...

I don't know what kind of couch fabric you have, but baby oil works really well to take crayon out of stuff. Mary got crayon on some of David's church pants a couple of months ago and it worked. I don't remember exactly what I did with it, just google it.

Also, a part of me is also sad when I finish a good book.

Julie said...

Great stories. . . I hope my daughter wasn't one in the class she was trying to get to obey. Because I'm pretty sure she'd be good at the not listening part.

Rachel+Co said...

my favorite book ever, but you already knew that, didn't you?

and regarding this statement: "The worst part about finishing a good book*, no matter how good the story and ending, is that it's finished. All done. Over."

that's why i love book series. there's always more, it's never really over.

angela hardison said...

probably my favorite book ever too.

i love clara's imagination.

mommy said...

i totally agree. i hate the in-between time until you find the next good read.

Mike and Kari said...

Anna, I didn't get a chance to tell you congratulations tonight, but I am so happy for you! That is so exciting! I haven't been blogging lately, so I hadn't read the exciting news, but yea for you and your family!

Autumn said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire post. That was completel entertainment to me.
I also completely enjoyed your flower photos.The daisy was by far my favorite. But they always have and always will be be my absolute favorite. Even if it is sticking up out of a cow-pie.