Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Christmas {Thoughts} in July

I just read a series of blog comments in which the readers were saying they don't let their kids believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc. because it will cause them to doubt the reality of God. Um, am I missing something? I get that Easter and Christmas are far too commercialized, which is why I always make sure to attempt to teach Clara the reason we celebrate these sacred holidays. I make an effort to have the reason for celebrations the main focus of the celebration. I think that some people go way overboard on gifts for these holidays. But I think it's very possible to teach your children about why we celebrate them while also letting them experience the excitement of the pretend side. Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth and life of our Savior, to help and serve others and to spend time with family. Santa and gift giving don't have to overshadow the more important parts of Christmas, if we make an effort not to let it. It's very possible to teach children that even without gifts, Christmas can still be an enjoyable holiday, because the real reason we celebrate it will never go away. I guess I am not understanding how some people think it's one way or the other.

Oh, and the Tooth Fairy has nothing to do with God in my opinion. It's just a fun little game of pretend. Does pretend play and imaginary play lead to doubting the reality of God as well?

Rant over.

13 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yea, my parents really screwed me up by letting me believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

Allison Johnson said...

Agreed. Perfectly stated. The whimsy isn't the focus, but it does make it exciting...

I AM JOE PESCI said...

The Tooth Fairy just visited Colt last night!

I totally agree with your post.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I think children need to have pretend and play in their lives. It allows them to keep their innocence that much longer.

Jen said...

I agree!
I think it's fun to make believe.
Just making sure your kids know the "true meaning" behind holidays along with the other stuff.

For myself, I'm not too into the cartoon decor for holidays so that helps with the True meaning.
I want to be better though at being creative with stories & activities centered around Christ especially during these holidays.

Just yesterday Katelyn saw a commercial about Santa on tv and excitedly said, "he came to my house".
(this past christmas Scott dressed up like Santa and Katelyn peeked seeing him put presents under the tree, It was too precious)

Julie said...

Let children be children. I will say that when my oldest found out the truth about Santa (I almost wanted to cry because I felt like I was taking away the innocence of childhood) she asked why we lied about Santa. I said that we didn't really lie. Parents just pretend about the Santa thing to add a little bit if magic that every child should have at the holidays. We do it so we can do something nice and fun for our children because we love them. She seemed totally satisfied with that. She made no connection with that and gospel truths. She still begs to bear her testimony every fast Sunday.

Kami Milliron said...

Those parents are crazy. Of course Christmas and Easter are sacred holidays and we strive to teach our children the importance of them. But for heavens sakes - you're only a kid for so long. Let them believe in the tooth fairy, etc. Give me a break. Those Mom's are too up tight and worried about their children not being perfect.

Haha, you said rant. So rant I did : )

DeWitts said...

I know i will be in tears the day Cooper finds out that santa isn't real.

Kate said...

I had a friend growing up who's parents only gave them one gift each Christmas (mostly b/c they couldn't afford more for their 8 children), and she was perfectly fine with that. In fact, I think it helped her to understand the true holiday meaning. On the other hand, if people can't teach their kids the difference between what is pretend and reality then they might need to spend more time with their children.

Tiffany Haynes said...

I couldn't agree more! Not just for the sake of Nolan enjoying the holidays, it's more for me! Last Christmas I was way more excited then he was.

Deb said...

I agree with you. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Anonymous said...

that's lame.

(so, when i was 6 i begged my dad to let me go to an adult fire side with him... it was there i heard the "myth of st. nick" therefore finding out santa wasn't real from the prophet. awesome. even more awesome? i pretended not to hear and lied for about 3 more years...)

Anonymous said...

oh! and congrats! clara is seriously SO cute. i'm excited to see numbero two!