When I was attending ASU, I remember the first day of my small group communication class. We took the first bit of class time to introduce ourselves, including what our goals after graduation were. Graduate degrees, exciting jobs, business owners, traveling and then me: a mom. (The only other time I solicited that many shocked expressions at ASU was when I explained the reason I was getting my CIS degree was for fun. {But come on, was that any more shocking than my classmate who was a concert pianist and was getting his CIS degree as a backup?})
Anyway, I knew I wanted a family. Even though I wasn't married, I knew filling life with things that matter (family) is what brings true happiness. I had a strong desire to raise and nurture a family. I found my prince charming, finished school and started my career. I enjoyed what I did, but when Clara came along, I was more than ready to really get into the "real" part of life. Everything until then (school, work, etc.) seemed like a filler. It was fun, but it wasn't joy. It seemed having a baby had more purpose than all the things I'd accomplished in the accounting world combined. I experienced joy. Lots of it and it still keeps coming. I worked a little on the side and enjoyed being a mother more than I enjoyed anything in life up to that point. It was rewarding and fulfilling in ways my career could not be. I didn't want to rush into having another kid, but visions of a house full of kids frequented my day dreams. As we know, reality often differs from day dreams.
Time only brought more clients, not more kids. I didn't plan that, not at all. I chose the first part, but I think it was somewhat of a subconscious fall back plan since the other part wasn't working out the way I had hoped. However, as I stumbled over shoes thinking about this, I also concluded that I am happy. Happy because I have learned to take time when making decisions I have control over and not waste time worrying about things I don't have control over. Someday the client count will go down and the kid count will go up, but until then, I can and do enjoy life as it comes.

10 comments:
That's an awesome picture, you did a great job ! And AMEN on your post. I love your thoughts - you always have some interesting to say. And I really enjoy hearing it !
i can relate to this post in so many ways. i can't wait for you to have a house full of kids. you are a great mom and a great person.
i think you subconsciously wrote this post for me.
i'm excited for us both to have a house full of kids.
I loved your thoughts and your picture!
I have thoughts like that often. The ones where I think, 'This isn't exactly what I thought my life would be like.' But, then I also think, 'I wouldn't be happier any other way. (Except for maybe a cleaner house, and kids who don't fight with their siblings...)'
What a good mom you are!
Such a beautiful pic!
Yeah, life is full of unexpected turns that's for sure. Some have been good. Some I could live without. But at the same time, it's my life and it is what it is and I can be at peace with it.
That picture totally rocks.
I can so relate to everything you wrote! Seriously, everything. I love how honest and open you are Anna. It's so refreshing to know people feel the same way you do. Thank you!
Totally know how you feel. I can't tell you how many times I've said "This is NOT what I expected!!!" But, like you, I'm still happy. And I'm still learning that things don't always go as expected (hard for a control freak planner like me to except), but that there's a reason for it and the reason always makes sense (even if you don't realize it until 30 years down the road). Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
That is an amazing picture. I think what you are saying is so true. You never know where life will take you. I know my life isn't how I invisioned it 10 years ago. But, I love my life. Somehow everything works out. Heavenly Father knows us and has a plan for us. We just have to have faith.
I know it's already been said, but that really is an awesome picture. Before I even read the post I was wondering if you took it or if you got it off the internet somewhere. Beautiful.
And I agree, life is crazy and unexpected.
Post a Comment