Several months ago, R&K mentioned the date they planned to attend the Open House of the Gila Valley Temple. For several months, I had very good intentions to get reservations for a hotel and tickets for the Open House for the same time. Too bad I am a procrastinator. On Thursday, I was in KS and started talking to Ryan about it. By then, everything was sold out. Enter B&K. They had extra tickets for the Open House and decided not to use their hotel reservations. People should really stop bailing me out when I procrastinate, I learn nothing. I was grateful, nonetheless, that we were able to go on a mini-vacation. We left Friday night and headed to Thatcher. Our room was right next to R&K and every morning I got to see and hold happy babies and Clara got to see Lucy and Elsa. Life would be a party living next door to family.

Saturday morning, we decided to stay Saturday night. I told Jason it was the most sporadic thing I've ever done. Clint later asked if I meant spontaneous. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. You see, there is a reason I do everything. A clear, concrete (to me, anyway) reason I do everything. If it involves money, it's even more clear and more concrete. I normally think, analyze, calculate how many hours of work we are wasting, stress over the unexpected expense, etc., until my head hurts. Not this weekend! We told Clara we were staying another night and she asked why. It felt good to answer, "Just for fun." I am working on doing that more often. Sometimes it is good to spend money just to enjoy life. (But only
sometimes :)). Jason laughed that our first vacation of the year was to Thatcher, of all places. Honestly, we enjoyed being there because there weren't different things to do and places to go so we were really able to relax and enjoy family time. On Saturday we tagged along with R&K to lunch with her family before going to the Open House.

Of course, the temple was beautiful. Of the physical beauty, I was most impressed with the chandelier* in the Celestial Room. Hopefully they include a picture of it somewhere so people that weren't able to go get to see it. The strongest emotion I had while there, and it actually came during the little intro video they showed, was of the sacrifice the early saints made to have a temple. I take having a temple so close for granted and rarely make a sacrifice to attend. I certainly didn't sacrifice anything to have it or any of the upcoming ones built. I had a renewed desire to sacrifice to attend the temple more and to remember the sacrifice of those that didn't have it so easy.
We ran into Steve & Laschelle, some of my favorites from Snowflake. I was best friends with their only daughter Brittany and sometimes called myself their other daughter. As such, Steve took it upon himself to tell Clara he's her third grandpa. Now she keeps saying "I need to go to Snowflake to bisit my nother bampa". They've promised corn if I come, so maybe next time we're in their neighborhood...

That night we lounged around. Sunday morning we took pictures by the temple and then went to church. I think that's only like the second or third time in my life I have gone to a random ward that I didn't know a soul.
Little did we know the wind would be
tornado-ous on Sunday. I didn't mind, I just wanted to make sure to get some picture documentation of our purpose for visiting the area.

I love the mountains with snow in the background.

Things to note...
- I could eat a pound of chips and salsa. I DID eat a pound of chips and salsa!
- I forgot my toothbrush, my blow dryer, bathing suit and shampoo and conditioner. I don't normally forget things when I travel, but I guess that's what happens when I try to pack in 5 minutes. I almost forgot my camera but remembered it, thankfully, 30 seconds after we left.
- We ate 5 pounds of Cuties in less than 24 hours. Yum.
- I have less of a desire to upgrade our Queen size bed to a King. Jason and I don't move much when we sleep so really, sleeping in a King just meant having to scoot farther to cuddle.
- I asked Clara if she liked staying in a hotel. She told me she just wanted to go to her home. Good to know she likes our house even compared to a clean hotel.
- When we decided to stay, I went to Wal Mart to buy some groceries for lunch on Sunday. The only problem was we didn't have an ice chest to keep it cold during church. I got a bag of ice from the hotel, and wrapped that and our food in Clara's blanket. Worked perfectly.
- We were gone for six meals and only ate out twice. Granted two of our meals were the continental breakfast at the hotel, but still. We didn't save a ton of money by doing this but I felt much, much better physically not eating out six meals straight. Restaurant food is so much fattier, saltier and I normally over eat. I was glad we had an alternative.
- Um, that's all.
9 comments:
Glad you got some pictures of the girls together. I was sad I didn't get any. We'll have to room next to each other again. The girls had fun.
Speaking of pictures...sorry I never got them to you.
What a lovely trip! So glad you remembered your camera..there's nothing worse than that (I know from experience). Rob's family took a trip up to see the temple friday but Nolan and I didn't go, I figured he'd been in the car way too much this week.
PS-I also responded to your sweet comment on my blog.
How fun that you got to go and were so . . SPORADIC ; ) I love trips like that. But I am an organized packer, so having to pack last minute totally stresses me out. So I can relate to that. I am also an over packer. I pack way more than we will ever need, but I have to make sure we all have what we need for every situation. Seriously, I need help ! Oh and the camera is the most important for sure. I LOVE Clara's face in that picture - that girl cracks me up !
You know the huge mountain behind the Temple ( with the snow ) ? That's where our cabin is that we go to at least once a year. The entire mountain is closed in the winter time, so we can only go up in the summer. The road to the cabin is one of the steepest in the entire world, so driving on it with snow is very dangerous - which is why they close it all down. No one is allowed up at their cabin all winter. Kind of sad since we miss the fun snow !
I totally take having a Temple closer for granted too. Sometimes it seems weird to me to think that people have to drive more than 10 minutes to get to a Temple. I need to remember the blessing it is that we have one right down the road.
we went a few weeks ago, and I agree, the temple was so beautiful. I'm glad everything worked out so you could go. It sounds like you guys had a great trip!
Happy Mother's Day!
Love the jumping on the bed pic.
So fun you got to go see the Temple. It's beautiful!
I can eat a whole lb of chips & salsa too. i'm sure :)
Fun trip! Way to be spontaneous!!
I agree way to be sporadic, I mean spontaneous. Sounds like an awesome trip and I love the pic of you and Clara infront of the temple. So sweet.
You didn't even know that you were sporadically in the same little city as 2 more of your cousins. =) Tommy & Grant are both living in Thatcher down the street from the temple, going to EA. *I* did not even know that there was a temple in their city until last week, when my mom talked about combining her trip to pick them up with the dedication... Um, where have I been? I guess Gila Valley and Thatcher never quite connected in my head because I've never been down there. =) Lucky boys. And Tommy got his mission call yesterday to Terreon Mexico. Um, that is all.
you're so cool anna. i love reading about your life.
Post a Comment