Monday, April 5, 2010

Saving Spree

See? I told you there'd be more.

At the beginning of March, Jason approached me to let me know, in a very serious tone, that we needed a gun safe. He made sure to put emphasis on the word need, hoping to convince me it was a necessity with no further explanation. Okay, I kindly said {I always speak kindly}, we'll save for it, then buy one. But Mr. Serious put his foot down and said, "This is not a want, this is a need." I was skeptical because we have had pretty much the same life, house, valuables (or lack thereof) for over six years so I was rather confused as to how this became a need over night. He reassured me it had nothing to do with the gun he recently purchased. Nothing at all. It was for the pictures and our data. Just in case fire ever decided to consume our humble abode or someone broke in*. I wasn't totally opposed, but I also wasn't about to go make a large purchase on a whim.


That's when I came up with the greatest idea ever! (Just ask Jason what a great idea it was). I kind of like to hoard gift cards so we have accumulated a small stash over the last several months. I proposed to Jason that if we could use only gift cards in the month of March, except bills that we had to pay, we'd use the money we would save to buy a safe. For me, this was pretty easy (except having to forgo my beloved Costco trips). For Jason, it was not. He got a $25 gift card at the beginning of the month for eating out. (We won't say how long it lasted, but I'm guessing no transactions happened after the first week). I was most nervous about the grocery side of things. Especially when we had company for a week, I fed the missionaries and I worked four days in a row, but it all turned out nicely. At the beginning of the month I had left over produce from the week before, then Kiri brought some with her, I bought fresh produce four times (mostly with gift cards) and my mom provided a week of lunches and dinners. We cheated a few times, but the total of our instances of cheating wouldn't total more than the giftcards we didn't use.


Considering doing this again, I decided it was fun and it definitely helped us cut back on how much we spend eating out, but on other stuff, I'll still buy it, just later. Every time I needed/wanted something, I just thought, I'll wait and get it next month. Which means whatever I saved this month will be over spent next month. In case you're wondering, we still don't have a gun case. Our plan was diverted to using the money for our backyard. Much better, if you ask me.

*Jason got nervous when a house in our neighborhood was broken into and that's really how this whole thing started. Funny thing is, it's not the first time this has happened in our neighborhood, more like the third or fourth. He just hadn't known about all the others.

11 comments:

Liz said...

Peter and I love to save money, it's like a game to us. I use the "I'll buy it next month" logic on myself all the time. Usually, by the next month, I don't want it anymore anyway. Works like a charm. :)

DeWitts said...

I will have to try this with josh. thanks fot the saving spree tips. keep them coming.

Kate said...

I'm a huge believer in a gun safe when there are children in the house. Doesn't matter how well you hide it, kids can find it. I don't know what kind of gun you guys have but we keep our hand gun in our fire safe security box with our important documents that we don't want destroyed if our house ever caught on fire. The security box was only like $30. I think that's worth my kids safety. If it's a bigger gun I have no idea how much big gun safes cost. But keep saving if so! I'm with Jason. :)

David and Jana said...

I'm with Jason, too. We don't have a gun safe, but we have 2 big guns, wrapped up and hidden away. We have a little fire safe with our ammo in it. I love to know that is safely locked up.
As for saving $, I put things I need on a list. Then when I get to the store, sometimes I see how much it costs and I don't buy it. Then I get home and I need it. DANG-IT!!! So, I have to coach myself in the store, cringe sometimes, and get everything on my list.

Marie said...

We have a gun safe. It is a nice peace of mind with kids. It was our Christmas present one year from my in-laws. We were lucky to not have to buy it. Those suckers are expensive. I have been trying to go cash only for grocery shopping and it is hard. I end up cheating a bit at the end of the month!

Jen said...

Wow, good luck. I'm not sure If I would be able to not spend like that. Grocery shopping scares me when it's time for check out.

angela hardison said...

maybe i should try a saving spree. since i can't really go anywhere alone, i'm spending less, but online shopping is really fun :)

anyway, your comment about hoarding gift cards reminded me: have you seen the show about hoarders? if i ever get to that point (my closet is borderline close) please just put me in a mental hospital. i'll do the same for you.

we need to finish our "backyard" too. maybe you could teach me how to plant a little garden.

Rachel+Co said...

my thoughts after reading this:

i need to find a way to get more gift cards.

can't wait to see what you've done with the yard.

Lindsay said...

I hope we get to see pictures of the yard soon!!

I would love to get a gun safe for the several guns Matt owns (and for the future gun purchases that will sure to be made) but it's waaaaay down on the list of "things" we want to get.

I need to go on a saving spree. Such a nice idea! ;) LOL!

Tiffany Haynes said...

What a fun challenging way to save money. we just might have to try that some day although we don't usually get very many giftcards.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I LOVE gift cards . . . that's what I always ask for for my birthday and Christmas. And then I use those gift cards for gifts for other people or spending on stuff we need.

Fantastic idea to use them to save up for something else!