Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bedtime

It's a few hours past my bedtime. But I'm not asleep. Obviously. 'Cause I can't type in my sleep. Every so often, more often than I like, I can't go to sleep. Well, really it starts out with me not wanting to and then before I know it, I can't. It begins with having to get something for work done. I get the work done, which puts me past my preferred bedtime on Thursday night. At that point, since I'm already an hour past bedtime, I think, what's another two? I am dreading waking up when it's still dark knowing I'll be so sleepy so I procrastinate. That's right, I dread waking up after only a few short hours so I procrastinate going to bed. Makes perfect sense. Somehow, my thought process is totally logical around Midnight. And then I start to think. And think and think and think. About everything. Houses, too much work, too little work, babies, messy room, piles that give me anxiety, moving, my ideal life, my reality, drugs, food (I made the most delicious dinner tonight, just ask Jason but if you don't, I'll quote,"I would pay a lot of money for that at a restaurant"), money, life, things to blog about, other's struggles, etc., etc. And then, I decide my procrastination is foolish. I change, wash, brush, pray, snuggle (with my blanket... I'm not a human snuggler when sleeping) and close my eyes to drift off to sleep. Except at this point, my mind is so wired with thoughts that the drifting takes too long. Sometimes hours. Especially if I focus too much on going to sleep. Because then my anxiety kicks in knowing how quickly the hour of the alarm is approaching and, you guessed it, that keeps me awake longer.

So now I guess I have two problems: 1.) I'm kind of crazy and 2.) I'm going to be really tired tomorrow. :)

9 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I'm crazy too. And tired. We have a lot in common.

Brenden+Nikki said...

We should chat at night or something. I always notice that I'm up looking at blogs late at night and I often post a comment right after you so I know you're awake too. And then when I try to get to sleep I can't hold still. I swear I have restless leg syndrome.

Allison Johnson said...

I have the same problem, so either I am crazy too...or you aren't that crazy at all. I prefer to think we are just too intellectual to sleep...haha

Jen said...

I think we are all crazy. I hate when i am so many things on my mind--Then once I finally do fall asleep, i have crazy dreams and then i feel like I don't sleep at all.

I hope you are not too much of a Zombie today.

DeWitts said...

We have more in common then i thought. haha!

mommy said...

You crack me up, Anna.

Cook Zoo said...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I finally broke down and asked the witch doctor about it and she gave me some L-Theanine. It's not addictive and not a sedative so I don't have to worry about being groggy. It makes my brain shut up so I can sleep. Oh heaven.

Julie said...

I want the recipe for what you made for dinner! (P.S. I've thought that same way late at night.)

Deb said...

I get that way too at times. When I have those nights, I get ready for bed and then fall asleep zoning out infront of the tv, because I know if I lay in bed in the quite I'll be up all night thinking.