Monday, October 19, 2009

Tantrums

I'm still catching up, and last week didn't help. But rather than waste a post complaining about the chaos, let's rewind to the week before Labor Day weekend and complain about that. :)

Every year, Jason's family has a huge family reunion, very affectionately referred to by all involved as 'The Reunion'. It's always in the same place and always the same weekend. It's not just his parent's family, nor his grandma's family. It's his great grandparents and their descendants, all her siblings and their families. This year not quite 300 people were there and I am pretty sure that was on the low side. Enough history, back to my tantrum (yeah, me, not Clara). I love camping, but the week before the reunion I sat staring at everything on my plate for the upcoming week. I had a lot going on and I was certain there was no way I'd fit "preparing for a weekend of camping" on there. I told Jason I didn't want to go, and he asked why. He wondered what the big deal was. It wasn't really that I didn't want to go, I just didn't want to deal with the stuff I normally deal with that makes it a big deal. The "big deal" was: 1.) planning the meals for the weekend (I might love to cook in my modern kitchen, but being limited to an ice chest and a little camp stove dismisses that love ever so quickly and dampens my excitement for meal planning), 2.) gathering and doing necessary food prep prior to leaving (i.e. measuring out oil, we don't have room for my 2 gallon bucket), 3.) cooking while camping (see #1), 4.) doing dishes while camping (I dislike this more than cooking while camping) and 5.) unpacking all the clothes, food and camping gear upon returning home. He didn't understand what the big deal was, so my only option was to throw a tantrum. I kindly (very kindly, even with a smile on my face) told him the only way we were leaving Friday is if he did everything I normally do. I did help plan the meals and I did give him a list of things we needed and things that needed to be done (including food prep type things). I was able to get all my work done by Thursday night and I packed mine and Clara's bags. Then I left the rest to Jason. I'm pretty sure this "deal" (what is a one-sided 'deal' called? :)) is how I'll expect all subsequent camping trips to be. Jason got all the food ready, he helped cook and do dishes all weekend long and when we got home, he helped get everything put away so it didn't sit in our front room for a week. All his help plus being in the mountains, spending time with family, making new friends and being free from a cell phone and computer made for a fantastic weekend.

The highlights...
I tried to bring "healthier" snacks and these veggie straws were great. They are made with spinach, potato and tomato puree and are good. I wouldn't replace my fresh vegetables with them, but it is a good alternative to potato chips.
Ever seen a grub? Yeah, me neither, until now. Nasty. This thing was about as long as my ring finger and fatter than my thumb.
Bad, blurry picture, I know. But good story: This was during the egg toss and Clara was not looking when the egg was thrown at her. She was however, holding her hand in her shirt and amazingly, the egg landed right there and she kept it from falling to the ground.
On Saturday afternoon, the three of us went to Greer to fish. We sat in the car for an hour waiting for the rain to pass.
When we went back to the lake, there was a perfect rainbow that ended in the lake. It looked awesome. If only cameras could capture what the eye can.
The lake was so low Jason wasn't sure which way to fish.
The only thing Clara loved more than her headband was fixing it herself.
There is a community breakfast on Sunday morning. All the men (and Janet's little angel girls) make the breakfast.
Poor little Clara isn't used to such uneven ground. She was running, tripped in a huge rut, bruised and scratched her leg on the other side of the rut and then smacked her face in the dirt.
But mostly, she was the happiest girl alive.
Not sure how she conned Kylie into doing this...
But I'm guessing it was similar to how Kinley conned Clara into doing this...
Gotta love the family picture that every single kid is looking at the camera. And Kevin is trying to kiss Terell.
I love fire. It keeps me warm, it's fastening to watch and it completes camping for me. Every year there is a huge bon fire and then a talent show. This year the fire was awesome. I couldn't stop taking pictures of it.
Jason's grandma made an afghan for the raffle last year. I wanted it so bad. But I'm pretty sure I could only afford a few tickets so I didn't have much of a chance. This year I bought a bunch and won. Yeah, hooray. I love the random colors and I love having something with sentiment. It's priceless.
Don't ask
And just in case you're wondering why I looked so good, it's because other than washing my hair with baking soda in a sink, this is what I used to shower all three days...

PS Now I know why I put this post off for so long... finding, editing and uploading the pictures took over two hours.

14 comments:

Brenden+Nikki said...

Ugh don't you hate when the posts take forever to post?

1. Love the idea of making Jason do everything. I'm going to try that sometime. On Brenden I mean. When he doesn't understand why I don't like something.

2. Clara is so big. It scares me how fast time goes by. I remember her in her infant carrier and now she's like not even a toddler pretty much.

3. I love her sweetness and that she let you take a picture after she face planted into the dirt and even smiled for it. ha ha cracks me up. What a trooper.

4. You look great for only using a plastic bag thingie as a shower.

Amy from Our Dish said...

Yay! I'm so glad you ended up going! Those veggie chip thingies are one of Cooper's FAVORITES! (Thanks goodness they're free of allergens, too.) I remember taking some "baby wipe" showers a few times at girls camp this summer. Those are awesome. Hey at least we try. It's sure a lot better than nothing. :)

Julie said...

You're the camping queen--complete with baby wipe showers. I love the afghan you won. And seeing all those little cousins interact is so funny.

Emily Widdison said...

the 2 hours was worth it babee! Adorable pics of Clara! What a great camping trip. keep the pics coming!

Rachel said...

Your ultimatum gave the rest of us courage to make our husbands take it up a notch! (I think most of them will do whatever they're asked if we will relinquish a little control.) Clara is a very cute little camper!

DeWitts said...

Josh's family does that same thing for labor day and this year being 38 weeks pregnant i made josh do it all and i loved it!

Beka said...

looks like you had a great time! i'm glad you enjoyed it, before & after as well:) Go Jason!

Deb said...

Love the afghan!! Looks like you guys had so much fun.

When I saw Clara at church this Sunday she looked really big to me. Like she's losing her little baby/toddler face. She looks big in all of those pics too. She's going to be quite the looker when she grows up.

Melanie said...

Thanks for spending the time - It was worth it for us!

And I hope you've watched Man vs. Wild, and know that you should have pictures of at least one of you biting into that grub and the splooshes that should be on the camera from the explosion of guts. I just can't believe you left that part out. "Ptthaaaa" is how it tastes, I believe.

mommy said...

Good work Jason, I'm impressed. And I love the "egg" picture - awesome.

angela hardison said...

lesson learned: tantrums give you what you want.

i'm hoping to arrange my friday so i can come hang out and paint pumpkins with you and clara.

Tiffany Haynes said...

That's how every post is for me. Hours!
So glad you went and were able to have a fun time.

Everyone knows if they want me to go anywhere for vacation there has to be a toilet, shower and a kitchen sink...which means camping is out of the question!

Kate said...

Good for Jason for giving you all that help - I think that "one sided deal" is called bribery or blackmail. Very nice! ;) I love the picture of all three of you. So cute!

Cook Zoo said...

That two hours was worth it (to me anyway). There was lots of awesomeness in that post! :)