Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Canning Queen

One thing that has taken lots of my time over the last several weeks is canning. Last year I canned peaches for the first time with my mom. This year I did twice as many and my lovely mother helped me with all of them. I paid attention too so in the future I won't need her to tell me what to do (although that doesn't mean I'm relinquishing her from her physical help...) Then I decided I was the canning queen so I did chicken all by myself. Homemade canned chicken is great. It looks ugly but it's good, versatile, a good food storage item and simple to can. I wanted to do beans, but before I could start, a friend of mine (thanks Camille!) got me a giant box of pears (it was at least 40 pounds) for $12. The pears were very ripe so we had to do something soon. That night Jason and I stayed up way too late and canned almost everything. What we didn't get done, Clara helped with the next morning.
This was my first experience with pears. They are definitely a lot more work than peaches, but in my opinion totally worth it for home canned, 16 quarts to be exact. Plus, it's only once a year and I'm pretty sure Jason had lots of fun helping me until 2am. Now that is good quality bonding time.
I've decided canning is addicting and it makes me feel prepared, self-reliant and domestic. Although once I flipped through the Ball Canning recipe book and saw the endless things to can, I realized I have a long ways to go to become a canning queen. Maybe someday.

19 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Ooo YOU ROCK. I want to sneak at peek at that book......

Brenden+Nikki said...

I want to come can with you sometime. I need to learn....especially chicken. Just seeing your cans makes me feel motivated! :)

Kami Milliron said...

Yes, Chicken looks nasty but is SO good ! Once the end of the world hits, can we come live with you and eat your food storage ; )

Lisa said...

The chicken doesn't look at strange as I thought it would. Great job, maybe you can teach me how to can too, I would love to learn how. ;-)

Emily Widdison said...

canning is great. especially with moms. My mom helps my sisters and sis-inlaws in Az can everything....no fair. I have only canned by myself--and I've only done apple pie filling and peaches. I'll try chicken and pears next year when we hopefully are in a more stable place (we only rent this place for 8 more months)

Julie said...

I love canning too (in a warped way). It is very satisfying. i'd love to hear about the beans and how that goes. . . are you going to try any other meats? I always wonder if I should get brave and expand the protein.

Rachel said...

Very impressive!

Allison Johnson said...

You should offer a class. That is one of the many things on my list to learn to do...

DeWitts said...

You are a canning queen in my book:) I so need to start canning.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

You are definitely the canning queen! They all look so good. We still need to get togther to do beans. My Father in law just did beans and said it was super easy.

Kate said...

Awesome!! That's so much work, but in the end it DOES make you feel good huh? Where in the world did your friend get a box of pears for $12?? You and I should have a canning party one of these days. I want to do chicken.

Amy said...

Canning is addicting. I was on a big meat canning kick a month or so ago...now I'm running out of space to put it all (at least relatively convenient space).

Someday I'll get a pressure canner so I don't have to drive out to Mindy's every time I want to can something.

Beka said...

good job you canning queen...now you can help me do it...i'm intimidated by it, mainly b/c i dont really know what i'm doing!! how much do you charge an hr to can for someone:)??

Deb said...

That's awesome. Great job.

Lindsay said...

I absolutely agree that canning can be addictive! I have yet to can chicken though! Next on my to do list however.

Thanks for sharing.

sheri rog said...

you are so awesome! fun, isn't it?

Grammy said...

Anna, I used to can years ago when we lived in Spokane. You should try pumpkin some time. It is really good! One of my favorite things was freezer jam ... very easy and tastes wonderful! I have the recipe if you ever want it. Your stuff looked really good ... well, except for that chicken ... sorry ... but I will take your word for it.

Marie said...

Go Anna! I want to start canning more too. It is expensive to start those canners aren't cheap!

Cook Zoo said...

Well if it makes you feel that good, you are more than welcome to do my canning for me too.

I know, I'm such a giver.