Monday, May 11, 2009

Hate It When That Happens

To celebrate Machelle's birthday this year, we went kayaking on the Salt River. We missed Jen and I'm sure she missed seeing me doing a not-so-awesome trick.

You see, in planning this event, Nylene wrote in her e-mail: "yes there are rapids and yes you will survive and not die". I'm pretty sure this was because I've repeatedly expressed to her my slightly sarcastic fear of kayaking down the river. I wasn't really afraid of tipping, but what if I tipped and bashed my head on a rock? Or scraped my body up? It wasn't the water that scared me, but the rocks.
Off we went. Chris drove us to the river, loaded us up and took lots of awesome pictures for me. I wanted one of us, but he just kept taking pictures. He even stopped at some point down the river to snap some pictures of us. He took pictures like I would have if I wasn't the one in the kayak. Anyway, when we got on the river, it was probably only about 6:30am. It was beautiful. I told myself I should wake up that early more often. It was cool, the water was serene and there were birds everywhere. Plus, we were just floating peacefully on the water. Staying upright wasn't as difficult as I had envisioned. We went on our way, having a fantastic time. It was the most relaxing and enjoyable thing I've done in quite some time. It was lovely.
If only my story ended there, I might not be so sore.

You see, the water was really low. Low water means the rocks are easier to come in contact with. We went down the first two sets of rapids and Nylene kept warning us about the third one, the 'big one'. She said we'd be okay if we kept our kayaks pointing forward since they don't tip unless they turn sideways. She also warned us about the big rock in the middle and told us to stay to the right. I was determined to stay to the right, which I did. And I did it well. A little too well actually. Because shortly into the 'big one', I realized I was about to run into a tree hanging over from the bank. I pushed myself away just in time, but about ten feet later, there was another, lower tree. It would've smacked me even if I ducked, so I put my hands up to grab it. As I did, my kayak turned sideways and... well... at that point, there's not much you can do. The water was moving so swiftly so over went my kayak and out I went. I tried to grab the oar, but felt my wedding ring start slipping off and decided that'd be a little more expensive to replace than the oar. So away went my shoes, away went the oar and away went the kayak.

I had a hard time standing because the water was moving so fast that it was always on the verge of sweeping my feet out from underneath me. A little ways down, my kayak got stuck on a rock. 100% of the bottom was against the water flow, so it was extremely difficult to pull it off the rock . I don't think people realize how strong and heavy water it is. Pushing something with that much surface area against fast flowing water was a lot of work, especially when I could barely stand without being knocked over. It's a good thing my adrenaline was going and that prayers can be answered quickly. Once I freed the kayak, it rushed past me and I just kind of floated/slid to the end of the rapid. It reminded me of playing at Slide Rock, except my feet and knees got incredibly banged up. Between trying to stand in the rushing water and move the kayak and being smashed into rocks when I was trying to float down, I got lots of bruises.

I finallymade it to where Nylene and Machelle had pulled off. Fortunately, they got both my kayak and my oar. My flip flops were gone, but we found one later on. I was very grateful I didn't lose anything else. It was a little scary, but I didn't really come close to dying, so it wasn't that scary. I don't think people realize how rapidly the water in that spot was moving. The water was moving just fast enough and was just deep enough that it took me out a few of the times I tried to stand up. There's a chance I'm being a wee bit over dramatic, but I've gotta make sure everyone realizes this was no laughing matter.

Nylene says it was funny to turn around and see my hanging on the tree seconds before my kayak tipped and I fell into the water. The visual makes me laugh too.

Machelle says she laughed when the fishermen told her she needed to go help me. I laughed and said she should've told them she wasn't a salmon.

And then, other than being a little cold and wet, the morning returned to a beautiful peaceful row down the river. Chris asked if I really tipped. I told him I just wanted to go for a swim. I should've told him I just wanted my legs to look like bananas. Seriously, I keep finding new bruises. The worst is my right foot. I bruised my heel and just found a big sore bruise under my ankle bone. Poor, poor Anna.

The next half of the river was much calmer. Dirtier, but calmer. A bald eagle flew across the river in front of us. We saw several other birds too. I kept thinking I wish I had my camera (but was really glad I didn't). I was pleasantly surprised when I found this picture Chris had taken for me. These guys were all over.
All in all, it was awesome. I love being that close to nature. Next time I'd just leave my ring at home, wear shoes that won't come off and avoid rocks and trees. All this time I was afraid of the rocks making me tip and I should've been afraid of the trees. Silly me.

12 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Oh man, you are adventurous!!! I'm a serious chicken when it comes to stuff like this. I'm glad you lived. Sorry about the bruises though - hope they heal up quickly :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! You and your sister have been having some trauma lately! I'm so glad you're okay, and that you shared the cool (though scary) story with us.

angela hardison said...

The real question is: do your bruises beat my giant nasty bumpy bruise? that's never going away??

j/k. I'm sorry that happened to you; BUT I might have laughed if I was there to witness it because it sounds sort of amusing.

p.s. they decided today to total the car... Angela: 2 / Cars: 0

Cook Zoo said...

Ho-ly crap. When you said you weren't afraid of the water, just afraid of the rocks, I thought "I'm not afraid of the rocks, I'm afraid of the water." After reading your post, now I'm afraid of the water AND the rocks AND the trees. Yep. I'll leave water sports to everyone else, thank you very much.

You were brave to go. I'm glad there were good parts in there too. It did look so peaceful and pretty.

If not for the water and rocks and trees.

Kate said...

Wow that sounds like a fun birthday! Where did you guys get your kayaks? Rocks are no good. Once I flipped over on the provo river and the tide pulled me to the bottom and dragged me there for some time. My feet were all cut up and bruised when I got to the surface again. Glad you didn't lose your ring either - that would stink!

DeWitts said...

How fun but i'm so sorry you got hurt. I love the pics!

I have some pic's of us our 8th grade year also. We had some good times. I really missed you when you left but i'm glad we get to stay in touch with this whole blog thing:)

Ruth said...

Wow. That's all I can think of right now.

Wow.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

You know I'm turning green with envy.

David and Jana said...

You are so adventurous! That's awesome. Glad you made it out ok with bruises and good memories. Save the rocks for another time...

Julie said...

That sounds so funny. . . and totally scary! Ryan keeps saying he wants to do that because once he went with the Bevells and he loved it. I'm not sure your story will help him convincing me.

P.S. Why in the heck were you wearing your wedding ring? I know you use your ring to ward of guys in the car next to you that are asking for your number. Were you afraid of getting hit on in the river? Maybe things like that really do happen to hotties like you. :)

Bekah: said...

You are crazy! Sounded like a lot of fun despite the bruises!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I used to love river kyaking on the salt river. Then I discovered ocean kyaking. Haven't looked back since. Plus, the likelihood of bashing your knee on a rock is greatly diminished. Then again, your chances of being bitten by a shark increase.