Monday, December 1, 2008

Precious Moment Defined

Tonight Jason gave Clara a bath, got her ready for bed and then brought her to me for kisses goodnight. She's been so happy today and I didn't really want her to go to bed, not after the cute things she has done today. Knowing she needed to, I decided she could just fall asleep in our bed. The three of us laid in bed for about 20 minutes (before I consented to what I knew from the beginning: she'd never go to sleep in our bed), during which Clara would go back and forth on who she'd snuggle with. I'd open my eyes and see her big eyes and contagious smile inches from my face. She knew it'd make me laugh. And of course me laughing made her laugh. At one point she inch-wormed from Jason to me, then across me towards the computer, hoping I wouldn't notice her intention. She would wrap a little arm around us or would rub her baby's back and hum songs. She didn't stop moving for more than a minute or so.

Then, she laid on her belly, put one arm around Jason's neck and the other around mine and just sat there, squeezing. We kissed her cheeks and she just grinned. I wished someone was there to take a picture of Clara's little arms wrapped around us, cementing our little family. At that moment I sincerely wondered how life could possibly get better. Of course, I know the answer: it rarely does.

And it's days like this that the indention in my bottom lip gets more defined because Clara is so cute I can't stand it. So I bite down on my lip.
(Obviously I didn't take this picture, but Angela sure did.)

14 comments:

Bekah: said...

Lovely, lovely post. I know just the feeling you described but have rarely, if ever, captured it so perfectly in words. You have a gift Anna!

Ode to days where our lips are dented, and our cheeks tear-stained because of so much love.

Rachel said...

That is so sweet! You really do have a gift of writing just what you feel...perfectly. Clara is one lucky girl to have a mom and dad that love her so much.

DeWitts said...

so very precious.

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

Aww! So sweet. Seriously, did you ever think you could love like that?

angela hardison said...

Awww, I'm about to cry.

I want one.

:)

Julie said...

Sweet. Since my day was the opposite with my children, I needed to hear that.

And it can get better. . . the more the merrier--really!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

That is so sweet. My favorite time of day is when I get to cuddle with Lily (though, like Clara, she will never go to sleep in our bed with us)

Unknown said...

So cute! Those truly are the best moments. What a sweet, sweet girl.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I miss my Clara! My Anna too . . .

Cook Zoo said...

Oh my gosh, so sweet. I wish you had a picture of that too, so I could see it. What a great moment.

Matthew Palmer said...

Sounds like serious sweetness! I wish you could have gotten a picture too! Now you need another one. ;)

Lindsay said...

Sorry, that was me, Lindsay, above! :)

Deb said...

That's what makes those hard days all worth while.

Rachel+Co said...

It's moments like those you know you're doing the right thing. Motherhood is powerful in its ability to teach us what's truly important. And it doesn't hurt that Clara is so stinkin' cute!