Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Left vs Right

aka Anna vs Rachel/Angela

Don't ask why, but it's always been amusing to me to see how different the personalities are of me and my eight siblings. Sure, we have a lot in common. But there are also a lot of differences. Take, for example, my college education versus Angela and Rachel's. Accounting and Graphic Design are two very opposite methods of thought. I notice this occasionally, but spending five days with both of them several weeks ago made some of the differences even more pronounced.

Here's what I am talking about.

Deciding where to eat
price vs restaurant logo

First glance at menu
make a quick calculation of how much the meal will cost w/ tax and tip vs notice the logo uses a different type/font than the sign (see... I don't even know the difference between font and type...)

Observing signs
is it legible and does it look "okay" vs identifying the name of the font... and then other logos/signs that have utilized the same font and how a sign we drove by used the same font as Obama's campaign

There are some things that pictures can explain...

Shoes Self-portraits (no, I'm not saying Clara is my neck warmer...)
Kitchens
Okay, that was a joke... comparing Rachel's kitchen with my kitchen in Utah that she picked everything out for. Here's where I really cook. Nice and BLAH (minus Clara).

And there you have a small summary of an accountant's life versus a designer's life.

11 comments:

angela hardison said...

Isn't it funny how your education/profession can kinda curse you? I honestly have a hard time buying things that have ugly packages or eating at restaurants with bad logos or taking commercials seriously when they're poorly designed. Even watching the news is stressful for me (all those colors! and gradients! and flashing words!).

It's a hard life I tell you.

mad white woman said...

Angela: sounds tough. I should've brought you some of the cookies I made tonight to cope. (But it's COLD out there).

Don't you worry, accountants are plagued with their own twisted thoughts as well. Such as, How will they capitalize this... What a pain to keep track of their deferred revenue... How are they going to amortize that marketing expense... If Co. A is on cash basis and Co. B is on accrual and they do business on the last day of the year, their revenue/expense recognition may not be in the same year so how does the IRS view that (that one gave me a headache the other day).

We should have a pity party together. We live rough lives. And I should've just made this comment into a blasted post.

Amy said...

Ha ha...that post (and your response to Angela) totally made me laugh! Mostly because I think pretty much the same way you do!

Krista said...

haha Hi Anna! This post cracked me up, It is so funny how different siblings can be, but so great how you can still get along. (I hope)
Your little Clara is Soo Cute! I love the pic with Jason's socks, Kloey loves to do that, heck with pants... Socks work just fine!

Bekah: said...

love this post and the accompanying photos. interesting for me to think to my own sisters and mom and our differences yet similarites. hmmm, i think i will follow your lead and take pictures at christmas. (thanks for the idea!) as they say imitation is the highest form of flattery.

loved your confession, hilarious. you must have moved from Snowflake shortly after I moved there which was freshman year I am Shawna's age.

I am so sorry you have been so sick/stressed. Hope you get better!

Lisa said...

Hahahahaha!! You have me laughing once again!!! You are so funny!!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

You rock - even with your big accounting words.

DeWitts said...

haha! you are so funny! i think the same thing about me and misti. we have been different since we were little but she's the one person i love hanging out with. i was down in mesa this past weekend and porter and i went to lunch, it was funny we both couldn't decide on were to go for lunch (we are both very much alike) and we both said we wished monty was here, monty always knows what to do. so its good that we are all a little different so we can all help each other out.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

And yet, you're all fabulous. Proof that you are, indeed, related. I love your sister's kitchen. Did she can those herself? Wow, I'm impressed (and a little intimidated). When I do my canning, it doesn't end up looking nearly so aesthetically pleasing...

Deb said...

WOW! Eight Siblings?!?

No wonder you are so busy all the time. You have a big group to keep up with.

I have two sisters and the three of us are all completely different.

mommy said...

It's okay Anna, you know you're not alone. Seriously, consider yourself lucky because at least you have someone to go to if you need designing/decorating help. My poor house is doomed forever.