Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Having a gratitude attitude...

Lately, the topic of gratitude has been on my mind A LOT. On Monday, my heart was full of gratitude. So full, in fact, that it just pushed the tears up and right out of my eyes. So full because I was overwhelmed with a special little Christmas package I received with the most perfect collection of cozy gifts for me (I guess Jason too, if I have to share) and lots of fun (and cute) things for Clara. Overwhelmed because I had another moment where I knew, without a doubt, that the Lord is aware of me and was reminding me through the acts of someone else.

Later that night, something unexpected came up and I was thinking of how I'd just say a little prayer and ask for some help to make it through. Then I decided that despite the fact that I really needed help to manage this unexpected surprises (no one said all surprises are good), I had so much to be grateful for. After all, the more help we need, the more help we get and therefore, the more we have to be thankful for.

Since then, I've been thinking about all the many reasons it's important to be grateful. One thing I've never considered before is that when I take the time to recognize the blessings in my life and express gratitude for all that I have, I spend less time complaining. Complaining is the antithesis of expressing gratitude. As our minds become more and more occupied with the things we have to be grateful for, the less room there is to think of the things that we would otherwise complain about.

So there, Anna's deep (or not so deep... I'm a little slow) thought for the week.

Picture from here.

6 comments:

The Blakes said...

Good thoughts. Just the mindset I need to start a new year with.

Cook Zoo said...

Great post Anna. I really loved your comment: "Complaining is the antithesis of expressing gratitude." How right you are.

DeWitts said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. love the picture. Happy new year!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I've really been trying to be more grateful as well. Just because our BIG HUGE burdens aren't lifted, doesn't mean that we're not given little things here and there to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminder and for your wonderful lesson on Sunday.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

It is always somehow easier to focus on all the trials instead of being grateful for the blessings. Very well said, and something I need to remember as well

Julie said...

You are always so wise!!! Love your Christmas pics. Looks like you had a great time with your family--as always! You all look like a fun bunch, if you ask me!