Friday, December 19, 2008

FOF - Office Humor

Working isn't all that bad. Especially when I remember things about offices that make me laugh.

For instance, the drama. I don't care to elaborate on this one, but the drama is funny. Especially if you have someone to talk about it with.

Or eavesdropping on people's phone calls and hearing someone call the person on the other end of the line a "googatron". Right, a googatron. Maybe it's not nice to eavesdrop, but if you're going to talk on your cell phone in a cubicle, you might not want to speak of personal things. Or use funny words because evesdroppers might laugh.

And then there is the issue of people's lunches getting eaten out of the fridge. Who seriously goes to the fridge and rips off someone else's lunch? This actually makes me laugh harder remembering an old audit client that had a very elderly man who had his Coke stolen from the fridge. Every year in our required fraud interviews (in which we were clearly inquiring about financial fraud or property fraud from the company), he'd tell us about the fraud he was a victim of. To mitigate this fraud, he put a sign on the fridge informing people not to take another's food or drink. It was awesome.

Of course there are lunch stories too. Today most of the accounting department ordered burritos from Chipotle. Someone called the order in so it'd be ready when they arrived to pick it up. An hour later, they returned. In addition to accidents creating horrendous traffic, apparently some person at the front of the line ordered FORTY burritos. What's the point of calling in an order when you get behind someone like that? I'm still laughing at their luck...

Finally, the signs on the stalls in the restrooms. The ones in the place I've been working say, "Please dispose of personal items properly and in regard to the next user." Exactly what prompted that phrase to be plastered on the stall door, I wonder. For we all know that in the bathroom, there are only certain types of "personal items" that would ever be in need of disposing. :)

1 comment:

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Without office drama, my days would be unbearable! And one of the reasons I'm so good at what I do is that I eaves drop on people's conversations. If they are in a cubicle or have their office door open and are speaking loudly, I figure whatever they're saying isn't meant to be secret, right? Yeah, but working in an office pretty much is the most tedious atmosphere to work. Even though I generally enjoy what I do, I hate where I do it. I am so jealous that you get to work part time from home.

(Oh, and I haven't asked for the leotard from Santa, but I have asked for the invisible plane. The only think I never understood was that if it doesn't make you invisible while inside of it, what's the point? So I've asked for a minor modification)