At nights I have lots of anxiety about reality (I know, I know, where's my faith?). But sometimes reality is quite stressful. To help me go to sleep, I force wonderful thoughts into my head, hoping they become my dreams.
Tonight (last night?) I fell asleep on the couch after tying ribbon on a few gifts. It wasn't too late, but after five hours of sleep, being sick, working all day, making dinner, playing with Clara and working again, I couldn't help it. Jason was out playing basketball and carried me to bed when he got home.
Normally, those are good nights because falling asleep takes no effort. Unless, of course, I wake up to a nightmare, like tonight. There was a man in my house with a gun. Clara was awake so I told Jason to find the man while I got Clara. The man told Jason, he hadn't finished what he needed to do, stepped into Clara's room and pointed the gun at her in my arms. And then I woke up.
It was terrifying. My dreams are SO real and they stir up such strong emotions. I've woken up to many dreams with such real feelings (fear, elation, anger/resentment towards someone, sorrow, frustration, etc.). For a brief moment, I have to very consciously make myself separate reality and the dream. Tonight I woke up and wondered: are the doors locked? Is Clara asleep? Check and check. It didn't take long for the voice of reason to calm me down, but the horror was so startling and made me wide awake. Which means it will take a while to get ready for sleep again (why else am I blogging at four in the morning?).
Then I begin to wonder... is it foreshadowing? Is it symbolic? If so, what does it mean? Am I just concerned with evil in the world or was that a specific warning for me? Then I remember my last thought as the gun pointed towards us: a quick prayer for a miracle that the gun wouldn't work. But then, of course, I woke up, for which I am grateful because now it has become a choose-your-own-adventure book. And I wonder... would my faith be strong enough for the ending I chose?
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Scary! Even scarier, because last night I woke up - I had heard a sound - a door opening. I went and checked on the kids - they were fine and sound asleep. I peeked around the house and nothing was out of the ordinary. I then woke Chris up and told him I heard a noise. He JUMPS out of bed and starts checking things out. All doors were locked. Nothing . . . then we go back to bed and I hear the exact same sound!
Stoopid cats - chasing each other bumped into a door, making the sound I heard.
I have your kinds of dreams too Anna. They are scary and so real. Time for ADT!
i HATE scary dreams!! Umm, i'm sure Clara could hit a ball, esp off a Tee--its just imitating us, how they learned, i think any kid can, but i just LOVE how Braden gets all crouched down and ready to hit it, so adorable!! And yes, yelling more...i'm working on it:)
Every time I try to explain my dreams to someone, it just sounds completely insane. My dreams are out of control and always SO real...
Anyway, I liked this post. And I'm glad you guys are safe.
I get dreams like that too. They sure can be scary! Glad to hear it was only a dream though!!
Oooh, I HATE scary dreams like that! This is my theory about dreams though. I think they're all about working out our emotions in a relatively safe way. If I'm stressed or worried about something, it always comes out in my dreams. When I wonder what it "meant", I think about how I felt, and usually then I know why I had the dream. I'll have a dream that makes me feel anxious/worried/scared because there's something in real life making me anxious/worried/scared. I don't dream a lot because when things are good, I don't dream (or don't remember them anyway). Too bad. It'd be nice to have a happy dream once in a while.
Oh poor girl. I hate scary dreams. My dreams never make since and i always have animals after me. I hope tonight you will have a sweet and happy dream.
I hate dreams like that! I don't remember my dreams very often but the ones I do remember are SO real! I've had so many dreams that Trent dies or he leaves me or something like that. Dreams are so weird sometimes!!!
And on a totally different topic, we really do need to hang out again sometime. Maybe after Christmas sometime?
Post a Comment